The Brookes Science Bazaar is back!
Tuesday, 05 July 2016
On Saturday 9 July, pack your family, flip flops, inflatable crocodile and a sand bucket full of curiosity and come to the Brookes Science Bazaar.
The Bazaar is taking place at the University’s Wheatley Campus and will give families the chance to meet some of Oxford Brookes’ researchers and enjoy a free day of fun-filled science activities.
Dr Anne Osterrieder who is leading this year’s Bazaar said: “There are lots of different ways to do science and discover new things. How can we find out what happens inside our brain? Do you like to design and build things? Are you keen to find out new things about your body and your health? Do you love to take a closer look at flowers, birds and bugs? The Science Bazaar offers something for everyone.
“Our researchers and students have put their heads together, and have come up with new ideas and activities. We all feel passionate about what we’re doing, and we’re glad we can invite the local community to take part in the event and hopefully, make science fun for everyone.”
Our researchers and students have put their heads together, and have come up with new ideas and activities. We all feel passionate about what we’re doing, and we’re glad we can invite the local community to take part in the event and hopefully, make science fun for everyone.Dr Anne Osterrieder, Oxford Brookes University
- Take part in our bird quiz, and experience what it’s like to be a crow.
- Make a DNA smoothie from fruits and take home a DNA bracelet.
- Take a close look at creepy crawlies with a scanning electron microscope (powered by Lambda Photometrics).
- Come and make some new cold-blooded friends with Lenny's Lizards
- Become your very own crime solver with CSI Brookes.
- Chromosomes and radiation, do you have the XX factor?
- How do you feel about eating insects for lunch? Take the challenge and overcome your fear!
- Get to know your brain with quizzes and games, presented by the PsychScience Booth.
- Become and Egg Head and learn about the weird and wonderful world of eggs
- Are you rhythmic, accurate and fast? Participate in research and help children around the UK to regain their super-human skills.
- Your skeleton is amazing! Learn about all the different bones in your body and how they fit together.
- Meet our nurse researchers, find out what they do and share your ideas with them.
- Meet Artie, the humanoid robot.
- ArtRising: Architecture, art, model making - and pasta, all in one.
- Build a rocket car and see how far it can fly!
The event will run between 10.30am and 4.00pm, there is no need to book and there is plenty of free parking on campus.
The Brookes Science Bazaar is part of the Oxfordshire Science Festival which takes place between 23 June and 3 July. More information can be found at www.oxfordshiresciencefestival.com.
Take a look at all the activity from last year’s Science Bazaar below.