The Library uses a system called Athens Devolved Authentication (AthensDA).
All about AthensDA
AthensDA works in two different ways.
1. Log in from the Library web site
Here you can login to Athens before accessing any of our electronic resources.
1. Go to the Library homepage at www.brookes.ac.uk/library and click on the 'Athens login' button towards the foot of the page
2. You will be taken to a Brookes Athens login page where you can enter your Brookes ID (staff/student number) and portal password.
3. When you have logged in to Athens, you will have the option of going to Subject help or to the Electronic library for links to resources.
4. When you want to enter an Athens resource you will not be asked to log in again (some resources may require you select a Login button or an Athens link but you will not need to enter a username and password again).
5. Your Athens session will remain open for up to 8 hours and you can move between different Athens resources (as long as you do not logout of Athens or close your web browser). If you need to open a new browser window, you should use File, New, Window (or Ctrl+N) in an existing browser window. If you launch a completely new browser, you will not be logged in to Athens in that browser window.
2. Going directly to an Athens authenticated resource (if you set your cookie first you can omit the steps below)
To log in directly at an Athens resource, you first need to set your institutional cookie.
1. At the Athens login page for the resource, ignore the Athens login username and password boxes.
2. Click on the link underneath which says 'Alternative login'
3. Type 'brookes' in the Search box and click 'Go'.
4. The next page offers 2 Oxford Brookes University options. Click the second one, labelled 'Oxford Brookes University (DA)' .
5. At the next screen which says 'Go to the Oxford Brookes University (DA) login page', click 'Go'. You have now picked up the institutional cookie which will be stored on your browser settings on that computer for the next 5 years.
6. After you have clicked 'Go' you will be taken to the Brookes Athens login page where you can enter your Brookes ID (staff/student number) and portal password. You will then be taken directly to the Athens resource you were originally trying to access.
7. Your Athens session will remain open for up to 8 hours and you can move between different Athens resources (as long as you do not logout of Athens or close your Web browser). If you need to open a new browser window, you should use File, New, Window (or Ctrl+N) in an existing browser window. If you launch a completely new browser, you will not be logged in to Athens in that browser window.
Do you have your Brookes institutional cookie? You can set your
cookie before logging in to any resources. Once this cookie is set,
Athens login screens will redirect you to the Brookes Athens login
Read the instructions first and then click on the 'Set your cookie now' link.
1. When you click on the 'Set your cookie now' link, you will be taken to a page which says 'Go to the Oxford Brookes University (DA) login page'.
2. Make sure there is a tick in the box next to 'Remember this organisation on this computer', then click 'Go'.
3. You will be taken to the Brookes Athens login page. Do not log in at this stage but close your browser because you have picked up the institutional cookie which will be stored on your browser settings for the next 5 years.
4. In future, when you access any Athens resource directly from the same computer, you will be recognised as an Oxford Brookes University user.
Set your cookie now
Logging in with an Athens account from another institution (eg NHS or another university)
If you want to use a non-Brookes Athens account, do not log in from the Brookes Library home page as this sets you up to access only Oxford Brookes University Library resources. Go directly to the resource you wish to use and login with your non-Brookes Athens account.
If you have set the Oxford Brookes University cookie, you will be recognised as a Brookes user however you can choose to log in with an alternative account without removing the cookie.
Help with using Athens resources
If you have difficulty using any of the Athens resources, please contact us giving your name, student/staff number, the name of the resource and a description of the problems you are having:
For subject specialist help: contact your Subject Librarian
- For general help : email email@example.com or ask at Library Enquiry Desks