Databases for Modern Languages
If you have a topic and need to find academic sources such as journal articles, we recommend searching one of the specialised databases listed below. Log in when prompted with your Brookes username and password.
- Online news sources
- Online dictionaries and language resources
- Databases covering all subject areas
- Business databases for IBCL and Applied Languages students
- Databases for other subjects:
Tips on searching for articles and journals
Check the quick guide Database search tips PDF
Full text articles are not available on every database. Click on the Full Text Finder icon next to the database reference to check whether the article is available on another database and then link to it.
To look up a specific journal title or browse for journals by subject , use the ‘E-journals by title’ search on the Library home page.
Need help? Contact the Academic Liaison Librarian for Modern Languages
Factiva is an international news database providing an archive of 10,000 sources from 152 countries in 22 languages. It covers foreign language newspapers and journals, including:
- French titles such as L´Entreprise, L'Expansion, L´Express, L'Humanité, L'Indépendant, Libération, Le Point, Le Temps, La Tribune and many others.
- Japanese titles such as The Daily Yomiuri, The Japan Times, Kabushiki Shimbun, Mainichi Shimbun, The Nikkei Weekly, Sankei Shimbun and more. Searches can be made in Japanese if your keyboard has the capability.
- Spanish sources such as ABC, Cinco Dias, El Correo, Expansion, El Mundo, El Pais (1995-) and others.
Tips on searching Factiva :
- To search Factiva for articles from a specific publication, click on 'Source' and type the publication title in the 'Find a Source' box.
- If you want to search through all publications in a specific language, click on 'Source', then use the ‘Select Source Category’ drop-down menu to select Publications – By Region. Browse through the regions and countries, then click on the country name to add it to your search.
- The default Language setting is to look for articles in English. To change this, first click on English to remove it from your search. Next, click on 'Language' and select the language from the list to add it to your search.
LexisLibrary is good for UK newspaper articles. It's a law database so to search for news articles, you'll need to click on News in the red menu bar on the initial screen.
- Academic Search Complete covers all subject areas and can be a good starting point for researching any topic. It offers full text access to thousands of journals.You can limit your search results to publications in a specific language.
- Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is a service which gives you access to thousands of recorded radio and TV programmes including films from an online archive. It allows users to record programmes which will then be stored on the database. BoB mainly covers UK channels, but a few European channels have been added to the service. First-time users will be prompted to register. You can search for programmes already recorded, view the programme guide and also search for playlists and create your own.
- Discover is a service which searches our Library Catalogue and many – though not all – of our electronic resources. A search on Discover will bring up books, journal articles and a variety of other sources.
- JSTOR This database provides an archive of full-text articles from a range of academic journals on all subjects. Note that most journals covered do not give access to issues which are less than 3-5 years old. To look for articles in a specific language, select Advanced Search, then choose the drop-down box next to Article Language to limit your search to that language.
- Web of Science - despite its name, this database covers all subject areas. It's particularly useful for tracking citations to key articles. On Web of Science you can view an article and see a list of the author’s 'Cited References' - those sources that influenced the author. You can also see the article's influence on subsequent publications via the 'Times Cited' option. Find out more.
- Business Source Complete Key business database containing full text articles, plus some abstracts. Covers management, economics, finance, accounting & business. Also includes country profiles.
- Emerald Fulltext Full text articles from academic business journals. Also covers education and training.
- Euromonitor Market Research Reports Full text UK and international market research reports.
- Mintel Full text market research reports. Mainly UK plus some European reports.
- Communication & mass media complete - covers human communications and media studies, many articles are full-text.
For details of other business databases check the Library Subject Help pages for Business