Why Oxford is a great place to study this course
As a student in Oxford you'll be at the heart of the UK's most successful economic region and in a centre for leading industries which will provide you with a host of work placement and other learning opportunities.
Our location in the heart of the UK motorsports valley means you will benefit from our strong links with BMW, YASA Motors, Lotus F1 Team, Red Bull, Mercedes GP, Williams, McLaren, Force India and AP Racing, including work placements and recruitment opportunities.
Oxford is a vibrant city with plenty of attractions for its large student population, from theatres and cinemas to museums, art galleries and music venues. A bustling and stunning cosmopolitan city, Oxford has excellent shopping, restaurants, cafes, pubs and clubs.
Situated in the heart of rural England and home to around 150,000 people, Oxford offers students a clean and safe environment less than an hour from London and international airports.
You'll have access to a broad range of up-to-date facilities, including computer equipment, audio and video media facilities and software for computer-aided design and analysis.
We also have the following well-equipped engineering laboratories and workshops:
- Mechanical Engineering Workshop and Projects Lab - providing machining and fabrication facilities.
- Joining Technology Research Centre (JTRC) - used primarily for research into adhesively-bonded joints and structures.
- Stress and Materials Laboratory - where all machines are digitally controlled and capable of static and fatigue testing.
- Dynamics Laboratory - with several pieces of high performance equipment for vibration monitoring and recording as well as acoustic measurements and modelling, including a damper dyno.
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory - housing a Plint and Partners open loop closed working section wind tunnel, a laminar and turbulent flow rig, pipe and nozzle flow apparatus.
- Automotive Laboratory - fully-equipped with workbenches, shelving and cabinets containing engineers' hand tools, automotive and racecar test and measurement equipment (including a four-post rig for chassis analysis), pneumatic and electric power tools, lifting equipment and a range of personal protective equipment.
- Thermodynamics Laboratory - supporting the engine testing and emissions analysis programmes within the department and including a drop tube furnace, which is a specialised fuel analysis system.
From academic advisers and support co-ordinators to specialist subject librarians and other learning support staff, we want to ensure that you get the best out of your studies.
We want your time at Brookes to be as enjoyable and successful as possible. That's why we provide all the facilities you need to be relaxed, happy and healthy throughout your studies.