Part-time jobs

Looking for a part-time job while you study? 

Careers offer a dedicated part-time service called the Jobshop. The Jobshop provides advice on finding local part-time jobs you can do alongside your studies and summer jobs as well as internships.

Chat to us outside careers in JHBB just off the Forum on Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:30am - 2:30pm.

Our zoom room chat is open between 12:30 - 2pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Times subject to change - Open semester time only

We have put together a resources sheet that contains everything you will need to know about getting a part time job during your stay at Oxford Brookes. Do get in touch with our team if you would like to discuss your options.

Jobshop trolley

Checklist for when applying for a part-time job


Ensure the role pays minimum wage or above. See government guidelines on National Minimum Wage.


Let the employer know the hours you are available for. We recommend you work a maximum of 15 hours a week alongside full-time study.

International students - Check this doesn’t exceed the working hours visa limit. If you have any questions relating to this, please contact the ISAT team.

Duties/responsibilities - If you have any questions relating to your role, we would advise you contact your manager/recruiter prior to commencing your new job.


Cost - We strongly recommend you ensure your salary/hourly rate covers your travel to and from work.

Access - Ensure you are able to travel to your workplace safely both to and from work, for example if you are travelling by public transport ensure the buses/trains are running when you start/finish.

Please contact to request a copy of our information resources.

Tax refunds

There are a few reasons why students often end up paying more income tax than they need to - and without even knowing it.

  • The most common situation is that when starting a part-time job, employers will often put you on an ‘emergency’ or incorrect tax code (PAYE code) if you don’t give them a copy of your P45 as evidence of your tax code.
  • Students who go on a placement year or work part-time during university also often do so over a period that spans two tax years which can confuse things a bit in the eyes of the HMRC (HM Revenue and Customs aka the tax man).
  • Most students don’t end up earning over the tax-free personal allowance within a single tax year (which runs April – April), but if you choose to work extra shifts at your part-time job during certain times in the year (over the Christmas holidays, for example) you could be totting up full-time hours.

In this case, the tax man thinks your earning more across the whole year than you are, and will tax you accordingly… but you get it back!

Unless you’re self-employed (in which case you do your own taxes), your employer controls your tax payments to the HMRC.

The tax is deducted from your pay each month as PAYE (pay-as-you-earn) - you’ll be able to see this from your pay slips.

At the end of the tax year, the HMRC will automatically send you a P800 tax calculation, and reimburse you with any tax you’ve overpaid. Therefore, in this case you don’t need to do anything!

However, if you’re a keen bean and don’t want to wait around for your P800 (or you think some of the info on your P800 is incorrect), you can also make a claim yourself at any time of the year using a P50 form.

It’s worth knowing that if you have money in a savings account, the interest you earn on this will also count towards your personal allowance (this doesn’t apply to ISAs – they’re tax free).

Please contact to request a copy of our information resources.

More ways to find a part-time job

The Oxford Brookes Careers online jobs portal is the best place to start. We have built up good relationships with local companies and encourage all to post their vacancies here with us. We have on average 700-800 vacancies available each week.

Useful websites

Event work

Summer camps