Universities have a lot of facilities to support you (both personally and in your studies). Make sure you find out what is available. If you need a specific type of support, this could be the deciding factor when you’re choosing universities.

Counselling and mental health

If you have any personal concerns whilst at university, there will specialist services available. You can find out more about the services we offer on our Student support and wellbeing web pages.


Universities welcome students from all religious backgrounds. Many will have special facilities on campus such as chaplaincies and prayer rooms. You can find out more about the provisions we have available here at Oxford Brookes in our Multifaith Chaplaincy web pages. There are student societies for certain religions too, so you can connect with others from your faith and explore it more.

Medical and dental services

Most universities have GP surgeries for students, and some universities have dental services on campus. It is always a good idea to register with a doctor when you arrive at university (if you’re moving away from home).

Libraries and study support

Each university will have their own library, along with a variety of online resources. Universities will provide a range of study support facilities for their students, such as:

  • Help and advice on study and essay writing techniques.
  • An allocated member of teaching staff that you can contact about academic concerns or queries.
  • Student representatives who raise concerns to your teaching staff as well as the wider university.

Find out more about our facilities on the Oxford Brookes Library web pages. Or to find out more about how we offer student support with academic skills, check out our Centre for Academic Development web pages.

Students’ union

Students’ unions are run by students, for students. The union provides social activities and events, as well as important support. Most students’ unions will provide:

  • Academic support – receive help and guidance on academic work.
  • Housing and accommodation support – advice for students living in halls and in private accommodation.
  • Financial support – advice about managing money whilst at university, and guidance if you have problems.

Find out more about the support our Students’ Union provides on the Brookes Union website.

Career advice

Universities have careers services designed to help you get ready for the workplace. You can get feedback on your CV and go to interview skills sessions. Universities also give help and advice in finding part-time work while you study. They also help you make the transition from education into work, providing advice, support and information on possible careers. If you want to go into further study, you can get advice about that too. You can find out more about the support we offer our students on our careers web page.

Specific support

With planning and preparation, higher education is accessible for many people with disabilities. The most important thing to do is contact your chosen universities and ask them about the specific support you need.

Extensive support is available from universities and the government to help you adapt to university life and meet your learning needs.

Support is available for:

  • Dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties.
  • Visual impairments.
  • Hearing impairments.
  • Mobility difficulties.
  • Medical and mental health conditions.
  • Autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
  • A wide range of conditions (contact the university to discuss options).

Types of support vary, and usually include:

  • Ability to record lectures and seminars.
  • Adapted accommodation.
  • Converted teaching and learning materials into a format that is accessible for you.
  • Disabled Students’ Adviser.
  • Note takers, readers or library helpers.
  • Provision of specialist equipment such as screen readers and computer software.
  • Sign language interpreters.
  • Special exam arrangements eg extra time or use of computer.
  • Specialist study skills support.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

DSA grants are designed to help pay for extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability. The amount you receive depends on the type of extra help you need (not your household income).

Things to remember

  • Contact your chosen universities early to find out about the support available.
  • Visit the university - accessible campus tours can often be arranged if you need one.
  • Meet the university’s Disability Adviser before enrolment to discuss special arrangements.
  • Proof of your disability or condition may be required. This could be a letter or assessment from your doctor or specialist.
  • Disclose your disability on your UCAS form. This is not compulsory, but helps the universities prepare the best arrangements for you.

Useful links