Motorsport: Past, Present and Future
This event has now finished. Please see our events website for details of upcoming events at Brookes.
Who this event is for
John Henry Brookes Theatre, John Henry Brookes Building, Headington Campus, Gipsy Lane site
We are very proud and delighted to announce that our guest VIP speakers for the main event at 7pm will be John Surtees OBE, Mark Williams, Gavin Ward, Paul Anthony, Frank Bachmann and Andrea Toso.
There are four parts to this event - enjoy a fascinating debate with Brian Sims and his guests from the Motorsport Industry, hear the secrets of the Formula Student team's successes and have a chance to see their brand new racing car.
You would be welcome to attend all or part of the event - please indicate when you book your place whether you can attend 4pm or/and 7pm
- 4 pm: An afternoon with Formula Student team - the secret of our success
- 5.30 pm: Unveiling of the brand new Formula Student car (no need to book)
- 7 pm: An evening with guests from the Motorsport Industry including Formula One, chaired by Brian Sims
- 8.30 pm: An informal alumni gathering in the Student Union Bar in the JHBB
- Brian Sims is one of international motorsport's most experienced and successful marketing exponents. Following an 11 year professional race driving career, Brian has worked for Benetton and Lola-Ferrari F1 teams. He is founder of the Motorsport Industry Association, a guest lecturer for the World Academy of Sport and a highly acclaimed author.
- Andrea Toso is Head of R&D and US Race and Defence Programs at Dallara with over twenty five years experience working in Indy Car racing amongst other racing series.
- Mark Williams has over 35 years design and vehicle engineering work for organisations as McLaren Racing, Lola Cars and Ricardo.
- John Surtees OBE is the only person to win world championships on both two and four wheels and the only British driver to win the F1 World Championship with Ferrari.
- Gavin Ward is an aerodynamicist with Red Bull Racing. He has a wealth of trackside experience as a Race Engineer working on Mark Webber & Daniel Ricciardo's cars to optimise performance.
- Frank Bachmann is Managing Director of BMW (UK) Manufacturing Ltd starting in the organization as a trainee in 1988. He has worked in various BMW plants across the world and has an immense knowledge of manufacture and production in automotive industries.
- Paul Anthony has well over 30 years race engineer experience latterly with Team KTR / Formula Renault in both the Eurocup and the Northern European Championships with significant experience in GP3, F3 and Formula Ford.