Restaurateurs and Brookes commit to make Oxfordshire a leading dining destination
Tuesday, 20 September 2011
On Tuesday 27 September, leading chefs Ken Hom and Raymond Blanc will host the launch of Oxford Gastronomica Seen in association with Oxford Brookes. This will see a collective of restaurateurs from across the county who are committed to making Oxfordshire one of the UKâ€™s leading dining destinations.
On Tuesday 27 September 2011, leading chefs Ken Hom and Raymond Blanc will host the launch of Oxford Gastronomica Seen, a collective of restaurateurs from across the county who are committed to making Oxfordshire one of the UK's leading dining destinations.
Oxford Gastronomica Seen is a self-governing body that has a formal association with Oxford Gastronomica, Oxford Brookes University's specialist centre for the study of food, drink and culture.
In advance of the launch which will take place at The Jam-Factory in Oxford, founding Patron of Oxford Gastronomica Ken Hom commented: 'At a time when restaurant customers are more informed and demanding than ever, this very ambitious project is extremely welcome.
'These chefs and restaurateurs are making a bold statement – that through their efforts they will establish Oxfordshire as one of the UK's most impressive destinations for dining out. Given my close association with the city, I will be watching their progress with great interest.'
The specific objectives of Oxford Gastronomica Seen are to:
- demonstrate integrity in food sourcing, placing particular emphasis on environmental impacts; working conditions of those involved in production and supply; animal welfare; and taste
- make an active and demonstrable contribution to the cultural life of Oxfordshire, for example, through being venues for musical, literary and artistic activities, and supporting local festivals
- engage and support the wider community of food and drinks professionals, including local suppliers
- actively encourage employees to acquire knowledge of ingredients and dishes, including their origins and cultural significance, and to promote their merits through interaction with customers
- demonstrate best practice with respect to food safety and hygiene.
Through dining together once per month, members of Oxford Gastronomica Seen are creating a strong and mutually supportive community of professionals, and are offering each other constructive feedback, so as to continuously enhance standards. It is intended that the number of members who commit to the criteria for membership will grow after the launch.
The full list of founding members of Oxford Gastronomica Seen are: Aziz; The Anchor; Ashmolean Dining Room; The Big Bang; Brasserie Blanc; La Cucina; Jacobs and Field; The Jam Factory; Magdalen Arms; Malmaison; The Mole; The Nut Tree; Old Parsonage; Randolph Hotel.