The “Active Routes” initiative plans to share walking and cycle routes to help people discover active routes in and out of our campuses and to help people avoid getting in a car or using public transport, whilst getting a little bit fitter and reaping all of the benefits of physical activity in the process.
- Routes must include “active” travel options, but can also include public transport, such as Park & Ride, or train journey
- Should include a map, or particularly for longer cycle routes, a .gpx file (for information on how to create a .gpx file, please email email@example.com)
- Include a written description with photographs
- Video can be used too – for cyclists with an action camera, this can be ideal
- Only photograph or video when safe to do so
- Images can also be taken from Google Earth to highlight important points
- Focus on “safe” routes.
- Safety is a relative term, as some cyclists are safer on the road than in a cycle lane, for instance, but where more than one option is available, please highlight both.
- Use marked crossings where available, follow the rules of the road, etc.
- When describing your route or creating a map, do not set your start point as your home
- Pick a nearby known location as your start point (a local shop or café, landmark, or main road junction)
- Strava can be used to create .gpx files which can then be turned into Google maps
- Routes can be of any distance
- A short local walk is fine, as is a long cycle from a neighbouring county
- Please include an estimated time with your route. This should be a range to take into account those who may travel at a different pace
- Please include a photo to represent you
- If you submit more than one route, there is no need to upload this multiple times
- You do not have to submit a photo of yourself. Pets, shoes, bicycles, trees – or any other image will be fine. If you do not submit an image we will use a placeholder
Please submit your route via the Active Routes Google Form - uploading any written description as a Word document. Images/video can also be uploaded and should be in numbered order.
Should you have any issues with uploading information, please email relevant items to firstname.lastname@example.org