Migration and Hospitality: Space, Precarity, Belonging
This event has now finished. Please see our events website for details of upcoming events at Brookes.
Who this event is for
The Green Room, Headington Hill Hall, Headington Campus, Headington Hill site, Headington Campus, Gipsy Lane site
Panel 1: Invisibility and stigma in precarious UK labour market sectors
- 'Perceived invisibility and stigma – Positionality and access to rights in the British hospitality industry' with speaker Dr Samentha Goethals.
- ‘Vulnerability and precarity among Vietnamese undocumented labour migrants in UK’ with speaker Dr Tamsin Barber.
Panel 2: Migration within Asia/ Global South perspectives
- 'Continuity in mind: Imagination and migration in India and the Gulf' with speaker Dr Thomas Chambers.
- ‘Working for work: How young Filipino men navigate social precarity through migrant labour’ with speaker Dr Roderick Galam.
Panel 3: Hospitality and the ‘integration’ of migrants across societies
- ‘Flourishing hospitality? (G)hosts and the negotiation of non-belonging in the global city’with speaker Dr Dan Bulley.
- 'Refugee settlement, employment and agencies of migration trajectories' with speakers: Dr Peter Lugosi(Oxford Brookes University), Dr Thiago Allis (University of São Paulo), Dr Clara Della Croce (Oxford Brookes University) and Dr Sonia Morano-Foadi (Oxford Brookes University).
Panel 4: State of the art and reflections on new emerging patterns
- ‘Food-work city: Oral histories of and for changing places’ with Keynote speaker Professor Ben Rogaly (University of Sussex).
This workshop is organised with support from GPES and the British Academy’s Newton Fund (Ref: NMG2R2\100063).
A small number of travel bursaries are available.