Fundamental Rights In Europe: A Matter For Two Courts
This event has now finished. Please see our events website for details of upcoming events at Brookes.
Who this event is for
Council of Europe, Avenue de l’Europe, F-67075 Strasbourg Cedex
Under the auspices of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Mr Thorbjørn Jagland
This event aims at disseminating research findings based on two projects:
- A British Academy study entitled
Reflections on the Architecture of the European Union after the Treaty of Lisbon: The European Approach to Fundamental Rights
- Conference’s Research Findings emerging from a Conference
Fundamental Rights in Europe: A Matter for Two Courts
held at Oxford Brookes University in January 2013. The main findings have been collected in a book published by Hart Publishing (forthcoming, January 2015).
This disseminating event is addressed to policy makers of the Council of Europe, the Council of the EU, the EU Commission, and the European Parliament, judges of the CJEU and the ECtHR, and scholars working in the field of fundamental rights.
|09:00–09.30||Arrival, Registration and Collecting Security ID Badges|
|09:30–10:00||Tea and coffee on Arrival|
Welome and introducton by Professor Dr Jörg Polakiewicz, Council of Europe, Strasbourg and by Mr Mark O’Brien, Head of School of Law, Oxford Brookes University
Morning round table
Morning Round Table Speakers
Dr Sonia Morano-Foadi, Oxford Brookes University and Dr Stelios Andreadakis, University of Leicester
Reflections on the Protection of Fundamental Rights: the interaction between the two Courts
|Round Table Discussants|
- Judge Professor Julia Laffranque, ECtHR, Strasbourg
- Mr Daniele Cangemi, Council of Europe, Strasbourg (TBC)
- Ms Paloma Garcia, Council of the EU, Brussels
- Dr Julie Lisa Vondung (EU Commission, Brussels, Belgium)
- Ms Isabel Baez (European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium)
- Representative from CJEU (CJEU, Luxembourg, Luxembourg) (TBC)
|13:30–15.30||Afternoon panel discussions|
|Multiple Protection of Human Rights in Europe and the Risks of Erosion of Human Rights Standards|
- Professor Lucy Vickers, Oxford Brookes University
- Professor Titia Loenen, University of Leiden
- Professor Robert Wintemute, King’s College London (TBC)
|Access to Justice: Is there a gap between policy and doctrine?|
- Dr Shirley Shipman, Oxford Brookes University
- Judge Professor Dr Dragoljub Popović, ECtHR, Strasbourg
- Dr Jane Reichel, Uppsala University
- Ms Lorna McGregor, University of Essex (TBC)
Professor Dr Jörg Polakiewicz, Council of Europe, Strasbourg
The Event will be held in the Palais de l’Europe, general building of the Council of Europe, Avenue de l’Europe, Strasbourg (Room to be confirmed).
Participants are requested to present themselves at the main entrance hall of the Palais de l’Europe with their passport in order to receive their ID Security Badges and go through the security checks. Please allow sufficient time for this
procedure (30–45 minutes recommended before the start of the programme at 10:00).
Please note that big luggage is not allowed and there are no secure storage facilities. The luggage of size of the hand luggage is allowed.
The deadline for submission of these details is 09:00 the day before the event. Participants arriving on the day of the event without having registered by 09:00 on 12 June 2014 will not be allowed to enter the premises.