• In the UK children must be in full-time education from the beginning of the term after their fifth birthday, until the age of 16. Below is a brief guide to some different sorts of childcare. For more in-depth details on these please see the childcare pages on the website.


    Playgroups can be found in most areas. It is a registered childcare facility that offers sessional care - usually 2-3 hours - for children between the ages of 3-5 years, though they may take children from 2 years 6 months.

    Playgroups are required to register with Ofsted to meet the 14 National Standards. They must meet these specified standards which relate to their suitability as carers of children, the safety of premises and facilities, insurance and record-keeping. Their certificate of registration and public liability insurance should always be on display.


    Childminders are self-employed and set their own rates of pay. They offer a flexible childcare choice, working full-time or part-time, in term-time or holidays, at weekends or overnight, or in any combination of these. Find a registered childminder.

    Oxford Brookes Nursery

    The University Nursery provides care for children aged 4 months to 5 years. The nursery is a purpose-built building located on the Morrell Hall site, accessible by vehicle from John Garne Way. The nursery provides childcare only for students and staff of Oxford Brookes University.

    Tax-Free Childcare

    The government scheme called Tax-Free Childcare is available for eligible Oxford Brookes staff.  You can get up to £2,000 a year for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. You will not be eligible if you are from outside the EEA and your UK residence card says you cannot access public funds.

    Your partner can apply instead if they’re from:

    • the UK or EEA
    • outside the EEA and their UK residence card says they can access public funds.


    The organisation responsible for providing education is called the local education authority.

    The local education authority must provide education for all children living in its area, regardless of the child's immigration status. The education must be appropriate to the child's age and abilities and any special education needs the child has.

    State schools provide education free of charge. In addition to state schools, there are Anglican, Roman Catholic and other faith schools. Your local education authority can advise you on these. There are also many independent schools, at which you will have to pay fees.

    See more detailed information on schools in Oxfordshire.