Tier 5 temporary workers (Government Authorised Exchange Scheme)

  • John Henry Brookes Building
  • Tier 5 temporary workers (Government Authorised Exchange Scheme)

    Tier 5 of the points-based system includes a variety of routes for migrants to come to the UK on a temporary basis. The route of relevance to the University is the Government Authorised Exchange Scheme.

  • This allows people from outside the EEA and Switzerland to come to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice, and to experience the social and cultural life of the UK. This category cannot be used to fill job vacancies.

    The University holds a license to sponsor:

    • Visiting academics who are giving lectures, acting as an examiner or working on a supernumerary research collaboration;
    • Sponsored researchers defined as "a person who wishes to come to the UK to lead or to take part in any formal research project. Formal research projects are those hosted but not necessarily funded by a UK research institution including universities, non-commercial research organisations, charitable organisations and national research councils (such as the Medical Research Council). The sponsored researcher fills a research post and works under the full or partial control of the institution, which will itself benefit from the research. Sponsored researchers can be funded from sources in the UK or overseas."

    For internships and work experience, the Brookes University cannot be the sponsor and does not issue the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) but may act as a host.

    For sponsored researchers and visiting academics, the following restrictions apply:

    • The individual must not fill a genuine vacancy in the UK workforce;
    • The Individual can be our employee, but the employment must conform to UK employment legislation and any funding/salary received must meet national minimum wage requirements;
    • Funding can come from any source, including from the University or a third party, but the individual cannot fund themselves;
    • There are minimum skill level requirements; in practice, as we can only appoint ‘sponsored researchers’ or ‘visiting academics’ to Tier 5 roles, the SOC Code will never be anything other than PhD level; and 
    • The visa is valid for 2 years maximum and cannot be extended beyond this date.

    Your responsibilities as a manager are outlined here.

    When the migrant sponsored researcher comes to the University you must take a photocopy or electronic copy of the relevant page, or pages, of their passport, or UK immigration status document and biometric residence permit (if available). This must then be forwarded on to your link HR team.

    The University must adhere to UKVI’s required record keeping and reporting duties; these duties apply equally to individuals sponsored under Tier 5 (GAES), even if they are not University employees.

    They include:

    • Reporting late arrivals to the UKVI:
    • Keeping a record of the individual’s contact details while in the UK;
    • Keeping a record of the individual’s absences;
    • Reporting unauthorised absence to UKVI. You must inform HR if they don’t turn up on their first day or are absent without explanation for more than 10 working days; and
    • Reporting when an individual finishes work before the CoS end date.

    You should contact Ben Cooper, HR Business Partner, as soon as possible. In order to prepare for a Tier 5 CoS application the following documents will be required:

    • the letter of invitation from the faculty to the academic;
    • a copy of the visiting academics CV;
    • a brief description of the research activity that they will be undertaking and a description of the research group that they will collaborate with;
    • details on the level of income they will receive whilst visiting the University and what the source of that income is; 
    • copy of the passport; and;
    • the individual's personal details: ie, title and full name, address and postcode, contact number, nationality, DOB and gender.  

    In order to access Brookes systems and emails, the individual will need unpaid affiliate status, details of the process can be found here.

    The cost for assigning a Certificate of Sponsorship will come directly from the recruiting Faculty or Directorate budget. A Tier 5 Certificate of Sponsorship cost can be found here. Payment is made in HR.

    The University does not pay Visa fees or the NHS Health Surcharge for Tier 5 applicants or their dependents.

    For internships and work experience, Oxford Brookes University cannot be the sponsor and does not issue the Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) but may act as a host.

    • The individual must approach an approved overarching body to be their sponsor for work experience purposes. See the link for full details.
    • The hosting department/institution may be required to provide a letter for the purposes of the visa application which sets out the nature of the work they will undertake.
    • Although the University is not the Sponsor we have a responsibility for ensuring UKVI requirements are complied with (including a right to work check) and any breaches could have an impact on the University’s own Sponsor Licence.
    • Tier 4 students are permitted to switch to Tier 5 (GAES) for the purposes of undertaking work experience.

    Sponsored researchers should enter the UK under the Tier 5, Government Authorised Exchange, of the points-based system. However those academics who want to come to the UK simply to share knowledge or experience or to hold informal discussions with their UK counterparts may qualify under the Standard Visitor visa.

    This category may also be suitable for those who intend to conduct research for their own private purposes - such as to do research for a book. Academics coming to the University under the Standard Visitor visa can be paid for reasonable expenses but are ineligible to receive an income. They must not undertake paid work.

    For further information, please contact the HR recruitment team.