• The Oxford Brookes Travel Insurance Policy provides cover for Oxford Brookes students who undertake journeys as part of their course of study (e.g. field trips, work placements, research).  Please note the following:

    The policy covers the duration of:

    • The exchange which is defined as until the end of the semester plus up to an additional 7 days if required to complete studies and/or to arrange to return home/move out of halls of residence etc.


    • The work placement which is defined as the agreed placement end date plus up to an additional 7 days if required to complete studies and/or to arrange to return home/move out of halls of residence etc.

    Please note, that the Oxford Brookes University Insurance does not cover personal/leisure journeys outside the country of your study during your time abroad or holidays after the completion of your studies. You will therefore need to ensure that you have arranged adequate insurance cover for those periods.

    The Exchanges Office notifies the Finance Officer in each faculty of those students who will be undertaking study or work placements abroad. The Finance Officer is responsible for contacting you with a summary of the insurance cover provided.

    Students planning to do a work placement in Europe should apply for the free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. Please note that many of our partner universities require students to submit a copy of the card as part of their application process.

    Your placement company should provide information about their employers’ liability and public liability policies to meet their legal liabilities towards you.  However, not all countries have the equivalent to the UK’s employers’ or public liability, some having voluntary or statutory workman’s compensation schemes run by the state, which do not always offer protection to placement students.

    If your placement company is unable to insure your legal liability as an employee, the University’s public liability cover will automatically extend to include this risk but this must be confirmed with your faculty.  Please note that this does not extend to insuring the host’s own liability to you, so you should obtain a personal accident policy to cover you.  Details of your insurance policy provider and policy number should be notified to the relevant individual in your faculty (see below), copied to and recorded on your Training Agreement.

    Please note that only limited cover is available for medical malpractice insurance under the University’s public liability cover. Therefore, if your Host Organisation does not cover you under their liability insurance, you will need to ensure that you take out indemnity / medical malpractice insurance in your own name. 

    Faculty Contact
    BU Maureen Jones (Hospitality students) (all other BU students)
    TDE Andy King
    HLS Tim Ainslie (Physiotherapy students)
    Jon Revis (Adult Nursing students)

    The University cannot provide advice about insurance, but you should ensure that it covers you for working abroad, including cover for:

    • Accident and serious illness (including permanent or temporary incapacity)
    • Death (including repatriation) is a good source of information.

  • insurance work placements new