Google Workspace tools are cloud based and available anywhere on the Internet, 24/7. You can:
- access email, calendars, and documents, with your mobile devices, such as your tablet or smartphone,
- create, manage, and share your documents with either your personal My Drive or with Shared Drives,
- store MS Office files, images, and video on Google Drives.
Please remember to keep your data secure, at all times, especially when sharing documents or when working in public places.
Please note that all classroom Google Workspace courses are available now as self-study online courses.
Enrol for an online 45 minute self-study course by booking a Google new starters class
- Overview of Google Workspace.
- Gmail including labels, filters, settings.
- Calendar including arranging meetings, and Google Meet sessions.
- Cloud computing and Cyber Security awareness.
Enrol for an online 90 minute self-study session by booking a Google Drive class
- Learn the differences between My Drive and Shared Drive.
- File storage options and My Drive file management.
- Explore document sharing and collaborative working.
Request a Google one to one session and learn about other Google tools.
- Google Sites enable you to build mobile device friendly websites.
- Google Meet allows you to communicate with colleagues via video.
- Google Forms are used to create questionnaires, surveys, or feedback forms.
- Lucidcharts - third party modelling and flowchart application.
Google applied digital skills
Learn practical digital skills needed for the jobs of today and tomorrow with Google’s free video lessons. For further information, visit Google Education.
There are several other options available for Google online training:
- Google Learning Centre or Google Digital Garage.
- GCFLearnFree, which provides several Google courses online.
- Coursera for free and pay courses, sample: Learn how to organize and analyze data with Google Sheets on Coursera.
- Linkedin Learning (apply for free Linkedin Learning account from Learning Resources).
Certification in Google Workspace signals to employers that you possess the digital skills to work collaboratively and productively in a professional environment. By earning the Google Workspace certification, you prove your ability to complete common workplace activities using cloud-based tools to create and share documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and files. You demonstrate that you can communicate effectively with email and online meeting solutions.
Google Workspace Certification has been retired, as of December 2020. Google are now producing a new certification route, which is work in progress. View Google Certification updates for further information.
Check the Google Training webpages for additional information.
- Grow with Google Career Certificates.
- Google Developers Certification.
- Google Educators.
Google at Oxford Brookes
Do you know the Google Workspace basics and wish to extend your knowledge and skill? Are you curious how Google is used in other departments and faculties? In May 2021, we are planning to launch a series of exemplary stories of Google at Oxford Brookes. If you use Google in a special way which you would like to share, please do get in touch.
Google launches new features without making big announcements. They also sometimes announce changes which only appear several months down the line. In some cases features are made available but restricted by the Google administrator at Oxford Brookes. This is why you may notice differences with private Gmail accounts or those of other institutions.
A summary of updates is available for January to April 2021.
.new - create new files directly in your browser with “.new” domains. For example, you can type “Cal.new” into your browser to create a new Google Calendar event.
Contact IT Training
“The course centre is fantastic. There is a very nice, lovely and a friendly atmosphere for the learners, and the course materials are excellent and updated.”