This page aims to give Brookes users a starting point for finding patents and registered design information online.
Please note: Oxford Brookes Library is not able to carry out patent searching on your behalf. For comprehensive searches or specialist help, we recommend you contact the British Library or one of the specialist patents libraries listed below.
Patents in the UK
The organisations listed below are able to provide help and advice on patents and patents research.
- UK Intellectual Property Office: responsible for intellectual property in the UK. They deal with legal aspects of patents, including applications and grants. They also deal with trade marks, copyright and designs.
- Patents Information at the British Library: The national collection of patents is held at the British Library in London. Their website includes general information about intellectual property, detailed information on searching for patents worldwide and links to a range of other databases. It's possible to visit the collection in person, and the British Library can also conduct comprehensive patents searches, on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Patent Information Centres in the UK : centres around the UK, who can help with patents research.
Finding patents information online
There are several free databases on the Internet, which allow you to search for patents and, in some cases, access the full text of published patents. It should be noted that none of these databases are comprehensive.
- Espacenet : This is the largest free online patents database, has international coverage, and is an excellent starting point.
- Free Patents Online : Search through US and European patents.
- The Lens : Patents from the US, Europe, Australia, and The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- USPTO Patent Databases : This database covers US patents.
- WIPO PatentsScope : A database provided by The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Books in Oxford Brookes University Library
The titles listed below are just some of those available in the library, giving more detailed information and advice on searching for patents.
- Hitchcock, David. (2017). Patent searching made easy: how to do patent searches online and in the library . Berkeley, CA: Nolo.
- Grant, John. (2008). Patents, registered designs, trade marks & copyright for dummies . Chicester: John Wiley.
- Gordon, Thomas T. (2000). Patent fundamentals for scientists and engineers (2nd ed.). Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers.
DesignView allows you to search for registered designs using keywords.
Intellectual Property Office - searching for and registering designs.