Go to the Students section
Go to the Staff section
Go to the Alumni section
Go to the Study here section
Go to the International section
Go to the About section
Go to the Research section
Go to the Business and Employers section
Go to the Support us section
- considered by some to be the leading database in the field of Sport, Coaching and Physical Education, SPORTDiscus contains information on sports medicine, exercise physiology, physical fitness, sports science, sports psychology, biomechanics,
training, teaching, programming and coaching material.
- a database that covers all aspects of physiology and includes over 30,000 pages from the
Handbook of physiology
Academic Search Complete
- a huge multi-disciplinary database indexing some 9,300 journals, over half of whose articles have immediate full-text links.
Routledge Online Studies on the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- a new learning resource, publishing scholarly and multidisciplinary research on the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
contains over 1000 journal articles and book chapters on themes including: the media, education, gender, politics, governance, management, law, business, ethics, legacies, the environment, disability studies, athletic performance and history.
British Education Index
- provides references to 350 British and selected European English language journals in the field of education and training. The database also provides limited coverage of books, reports and conference literature. Many references have full text
- all areas of medicine, including sports medicine, clinical medicine, experimental medicine, dentistry, nursing, nutrition, psychiatry, and health service administration. Covers material published from 1966 onwards.
- psychology, psychiatry, sociology, anthropology, education and pharmacology. Covers material published from 1806 onwards.
Web of Science
- arts and humanities, behavioural and social sciences, natural, physical and biomedical sciences, and some engineering. Covers material published from 1970 onwards. Watch the
Citation searching tutorial.
- British Library's electronic table of contents. Covers about 20,000 current journals and conference proceedings published since 1993, and is updated daily. Note that records do not have abstracts; only bibliographic details are given.
Library's electronic databases
page provides a complete list of all our databases with brief details of subject coverage and access information. You may also find it useful to look at other
pages for details of more subject specific databases.
The Library has full-text access to over 10,000 journals, the vast majority of which are available over the internet.
Looking for a particular electronic journal?
Search for the journal title or browse on
E-journals by title.
Looking for a particular print journal?
Search for the journal title on the
Looking for journal articles on a subject?
Use a database - see the suggestions above.
Find our electronic books by searching the
Library catalogue. You can then refine your search to the electronic books catalogue. These are some additional electronic reference works that will be of interest to Sport students:
The Complete Sports Science Training Library
- a collection of 91 e-books.
Oxford Reference Online
- about 300 dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press, including
A Dictionary of Sports Studies.
News and current affairs
- contains links to the websites of all the major English broadsheet newspapers. Also links to Factiva, where you can search an extensive archive of articles from a range of UK and international newspapers, including the major tabloids.
Some of these internet sites belong to individual bodies or associations. Others provide gateways to general sport related, or to more subject specific sites.
Library guide on
Evaluating web sources
BBC Sport Online
British Olympic Association
British Universities and Colleges Sports
Child Protection in Sport Unit (NSPCC)
Coaching Science Abstracts
HON Health on the Net Foundation
Human Kinetics webinars
- a collection of webinars from the specialist sport publisher Human Kinetics, covering a variety of sport and fitness topics.
- search for 'sport' as a keyword to find mailing lists you may want to join.
Sport England (English Sports Council)
- webpage of Brian MacKenzie, respected coach for British Athletics. Provides information for athletes, fitness enthusiasts, sports science students and sports coaches on many topics relating to athletic development, exercise physiology and
Sports Council for Northern Ireland
Cite Them Right Online
shows you how to reference a wide range of resources using Harvard and other referencing styles. It also gives guidance on how to avoid plagiarism
Referencing and citing your sources correctly
Library printed guide to citing your references using the Harvard (Author-Date) system (
EndNote: reference management software for assisting with studying, research and creating bibliographies
Guide to constructing a search strategy
Teach yourself: library guides, 'how to' videos and literature searching
List of science subject locations and Library shelfmarks