Elaine's research interests include leadership development, adult learning, cognitive and life-course development, continuing professional development, coaching, mentoring, and research methodologies.
Elaine has a comprehensive knowledge of research approaches and methods and her previous research projects have focused upon the development of emotional strength through coaching; the relationship between philosophy and coaching and the issues arising in reciprocal peer coaching.
Elaine also supervises and examines students at Doctoral level and welcomes applications from students wishing to study the coaching or mentoring interaction.
Research group membership
International Centre for Coaching & Mentoring Studies
Elaine is currently co-authoring two books, 'Brave Leadership in Action' and 'Researching Coaching', which will be published in 2019. She is also the founding editor of the International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching & Mentoring.
Shoukry H, Cox E, 'Coaching as a social process'
Management Learning 49 (4) (2018) pp.413-428
ISSN: 1350-5076 eISSN: 1461-7307Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Thompson S, Cox E, 'How Coaching Is Used and Understood by Project Managers in Organizations'
Project Management Journal 48 (5) (2017) pp.64-77
ISSN: 8756-9728 eISSN: 1938-9507Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Washington R, Cox E, 'How an evolution view of workplace mentoring relationships helps avoid negative experiences: the developmental mentoring model in action'
Mentoring and Tutoring 24 (4) (2016) pp.318-340
ISSN: 1361-1267 eISSN: 1469-9745Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Cox E, 'Coaching and Adult Learning: Theory and Practice'
New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education 2015 (148) (2015) pp.27-38
Cox E, Bachkirova T, Clutterbuck D, 'Theoretical traditions and coaching genres: Mapping the territory'
Advances in Developing Human Resources 16 (2) (2014) pp.139-160
ISSN: 1523-4223Abstract Published here
Arthur L Cox E, 'From evaluation to research'
International Journal of Research & Method in Education 37 (2) (2013)
Arthur L, Cox E, 'From Evaluation to Research'
International Journal of Research & Method in Education 37 (2) (2013) pp.137-150
ISSN: 1743-727X eISSN: 1743-7288Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Cox E, 'Individual and organisational trust in a reciprocal peer coaching context'
Mentoring and Tutoring 20 (3) (2012) pp.427-443
ISSN: 1361-1267 eISSN: 1469-9745Abstract Published here
Cox E, 'Managing emotions at work: an action research study of how coaching and group work affect retail support worker's performance and motivation'
International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring 10 (2) (2012)
ISSN: 1741-8305 eISSN: 1741-8305Abstract Published here
Cox E, Patrick C, 'Managing emotions at work: an action research study of how coaching and group work affect retail support workers’ performance and motivation'
International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring 10 (2) (2012) pp.34-51
Cox E, 'Coaching Philosophy, Eclecticism and Positivism: A Commentary'
International journal of Sports Science and Coaching (Special Supplem) (2011)
Jackson P, Cox E, 'The philosophical influences that have shaped coaching'
International Journal of Coaching in Organizations 7 (1) (2009)
Wycherley I, Cox E, 'Factors in the selection and matching of executive coaches in organisations'
Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice 1 (1) (2008) pp.39-53
ISSN: 1752-1882Abstract Published here
- Cox, E. & Cook, J. (June, 2016) Action research: four directions for developing evidence-based coaching practice, International Research Conference, Faculty of Business, Oxford Brookes University.
- Cox, E. (2011) 'Researching the Interaction, Keynote presentation to The Linguistics of Coaching'. Paper presented at the Consulting and Supervision Symposium, Munich, May.
- Cox, E. (2010) 'Innovative Ways to Research Coaching'. Paper presented at the Coaching meets Research Conference, Olten, June.
- Cox, E. and Cook, J. (2010) 'Action Research as a Strategy for Researching Coaching and Mentoring'. Paper presented at the 4th Annual EMCC UK Coaching and Mentoring Conference, London, May.
- Cox, E. and Wycherley, I. (2009) 'From Performance Coaching to Developmental Coaching for Leaders'. Paper presented at the 16th EMMC conference, Amsterdam, November.
- Cox, E. and Patrick, E. (2009) 'Developing psycho-social skills for retail support workers: A case study of a development programme using combined group work and individual coaching'. Paper presented at the HRD Conference, Newcastle, June.
- Cox, E. (2008) 'Last things first'. Paper presented at the 15th EMCC Conference, Prague, December.
- Bachkirova, T. and Cox, E. (2007) 'Coaching with emotion'. Paper presented at the EMCC Annual Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, October.
- Bachkirova, T., Cox, E. and Patrick, C. (2005) 'Coaching with emotion: A research project'. Paper presented at the Second Australian Conference on Evidence-Based Coaching, University of Sydney, January.
Elaine has a degree in Philosophy and Literature from the University of Warwick. In 1993 she gained an MA with distinction, also from Warwick in the area of Continuing Education. Following this she completed a PhD in the Department of Educational Research at Lancaster University. Her thesis focused on the motivation and training of mentors in a study entitled ‘Mentors: Born or Made?' Elaine also has a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education.
She is currently the Director of the Doctor of Coaching and Mentoring Programme and Programme Lead for the Masters level coaching and mentoring programmes in the Business School.
She is also Editor of International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching and Mentoring - http://business.brookes.ac.uk/ijebcm; and Chair of Oxford Brookes Coaching and Mentoring Society - http://business.brookes.ac.uk/research/areas/coaching-mentoring/obcams/