BA Professional Media, MA English Language Teaching, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Jon White is an English for Academic Purposes and Media Studies lecturer, module leading and teaching on Pathways Pre-Master's and Foundation programmes. Jon is also the Induction Coordinator for Pathways students.
Jon taught for the University of Oxford as an academic literacy tutor on the Diplomacy Pre-Master's course. Jon was an EAP lecturer on pre-sessional and foundation courses with the University of Warwick, Coventry University and the University of Gloucestershire. Previous teaching experience includes ESOL, EFL and ESL in the UK but also teaching students and training teachers in Italy and China. Before becoming a teacher Jon worked in media, finance and customer service sectors.
Teaching and supervision
- International Foundation Arts, Humanities and Law (BA (Hons), BSc (Hons), LLB Law (Hons))
- Pre-Master's Certificate - Study Skills (Certificate)
- Advanced Reading and Research
- Extended Writing Project
- Advanced Seminar Speaking
- Reading and Research
- Art, Literature and Media
Jon's research is focused on the following three areas.
- Digital assignments: Individual and collaborative research using student surveys; focused on website assignments as an emerging, inclusive and creative assignment genre which develops digital transferable skills.
- Team-teaching: Interviews with lecturers and managers across the UK HE sector on their experience of team-teaching through online synchronous delivery.
- Feedback: Survey and interview based study into international students' prior experience of feedback and its implications for success in UK education.
Memberships of professional bodies
- British Association of Lecturers of English for Academic Purposes (BALEAP) - Institutional member
- White, J. (2021) ‘Website assignments: widening participation, enhancing creativity and developing transferable skills’. InForm Conference. Student support and experience: in and outside the classroom. University of Kent (online), 8 July.
- White, J. (2021) ‘Team-teaching in synchronous classes: insights from the UK HE sector’. The Art of the Possible – re-imagining learning and teaching in Covid-shaped times. Brookes Learning and Teaching Conference, Oxford Brookes University (online), 17 June.
- White, J. (2019) ‘Digitising exams: growth, benefits and opportunities’. BALEAP PIM - The Future of EAP, Goldsmiths, 9 November.
- White, J., Bagge, Y., Gosling, S. and Simpson, P. (2018) ‘LexDog: developing a web application for improving academic writing’. Transformation - Brookes Learning and Teaching Conference, Oxford Brookes University, 14 June.
- White, J. (2017) ‘Feedback with international students: drawing on prior experiences, making future practice’. Working Together: Impacts and Challenges - Brookes Learning and Teaching Conference, Oxford Brookes University, 14 July.