My position is 'Senior Lecturer in Communication, Culture and Language', Department of History, Philosophy and Culture, at Oxford Brookes University.
After completing a BA in English Literature and History, I moved to Paris where I lived for 15 years. Whilst there, I worked for the French Department of Education. On my return to England eleven years ago, I studied for an MA in Intercultural Communication under Professor Helen Spencer-Oatey. In 2009 I enrolled as a research student at the Institute of Education, London.
I have worked at Brookes since 2003, as a senior lecturer teaching on the undergraduate programme, supervising dissertations, and co-running an online course in Internationalisation of the Curriculum for All. I was a founding member of CCI (Centre for Curriculum Internationalisation) and am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I am firmly committed to what I see as the three tenets of my academic role: pedagogy, research and reading. I specialise in (post)critical discourse analysis, critical linguistics, and intercultural communication. I have published published in several journals including Teaching in Higher Education, The International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, and Language and Intercultural Communication. My PhD is in Critical Literacy, and is from UCL Institute of Education. I have worked in higher education for nearly 20 years. I am also a practising artist.
Teaching and supervision
- Language, Culture and Globalisation
- Intercultural Communication
- Academic Literacies and Practices
- Persuasive Communication
- Dissertation supervision
- post-critical pedagogies and academic literacies
- critical histories of the production of knowledge
- English as a medium for global development processes
- social, discursive and cultural drivers of educational change in local universities
- dynamics of academic identity
- ethnography and analyses of local language practices in a globalising world
- (2011) Clifford, V., Henderson, J. & Montgomery, C. Internationalising the curriculum for all: the role of staff dialogue HEA & TIS conference, Internationalisation of Pedagogy and Curriculum: Exploring new frontiers, Warwick University, UK
- (2011) Clifford, V. & Henderson, J.Shifting identities: International staff negotiating new identities. HERDSA conference, Higher Education on the Edge, Griffith University, Australia
- (2010) Henderson, J. New and not so new horizon: brief encounters between UK undergraduate native speaker and non-native speaker Englishes. IALIC conference, Travelling Languages: Culture, Communication and Translation in a Mobile World. Leeds University, UK
- (2010) Spiro, J., Henderson, J. & Clifford, V. Deconstructing Independent Learning: Three Perspectives on the UK Higher Education Experience. BAICE conference (British Association for International and Comparative Education), University of East Anglia
- (2009) Clifford, V., Haigh, M. & Henderson, J. Fostering intercultural dialogue. Workshop at annual conference of EAIE (European Association of International Education), Madrid, Spain.
- (2008) Henderson, J. Is it worth it? Relative values of home and international student relationships inside and outside the classroom
- (2008) Henderson, J., National Occupational Standards in Intercultural Working: An Internationalisation Template for Higher Education, IATEFL conference, Exeter University, UK
- (2007) Henderson, J. & Spiro, J. Internationalising the Curriculum at Brookes: A Student Perspective
- (2006) Henderson, J. Liberating Narratives,IALIC conference, Passau University, Germany,
- (2005) Henderson, J. Global Perspectives: Student Voices. International Conference on Linguistic and Intercultural Education, University of Hercog Novi, Montenegro
Henderson J, 'Styling and being styled in university literacy practices'
Teaching in Higher Education 25 (1) (2018) pp.1-17
ISSN: 1356-2517 eISSN: 1470-1294Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Henderson J, 'Post-critical writing praxis as a qualitative researcher'
International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education 31 (6) (2018) pp.535-544
ISSN: 0951-8398 eISSN: 1366-5898Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Henderson J, 'Editorial'
Higher Education Quarterly 68 (1) (2014) pp.1-5
ISSN: 0951-5224 eISSN: 1468-2273
Henderson J, 'Strategies for Critiquing Global Citizenry: Undergraduate Research As a Possible Vehicle'
Teaching in Higher Education 18 (2013) pp.736-747
ISSN: 1356-2517 eISSN: 1470-1294Abstract Published here
Henderson J, 'New and Not So New Horizons: Brief Encounters Between Uk Undergraduate Native-speaker and Non-native-speaker Englishes'
Language and Intercultural Communication 11 (2012) pp.270-284
ISSN: 1470-8477 eISSN: 1747-759XAbstract Published here
Henderson J, '"It's All About Give and Take," Or Is It? Where, When and How Do Native and Non-Native Uses of English Shape U.K. University Students' Representations of Each Other and Their Learning Experience?'
Journal of Studies in International Education 13 (3) (2009) pp.398-409
ISSN: 1028-3153Abstract Published here
Spiro J, Henderson J, 'Internationalisation of the curriculum (IoC) at Brookes? where is it? what is it? why does it matter?'
Brookes eJournal of Learning and Teaching 2 (2) (2007)
Henderson J, MacDonald H, Lazarus CM, Napier RM, Hawes CR, 'Protein Retention in the Endoplasmic Reticulum of Insect Cells Is Not Compromised By Baculovirus Infection'
Cell Biology International 20 (1996) pp.413-422
ISSN: 1065-6995 eISSN: 1095-8355
NAPIER RM, TRUEMAN S, HENDERSON J, BOYCE JM, HAWES C, FRICKER MD, VENIS MA, 'Purification, Sequencing and Functions of Calreticulin From Maize'
Journal of Experimental Botany 46 (1995) pp.1603-1613
ISSN: 0022-0957 eISSN: 1460-2431
HENDERSON J, SATIATJEUNEMAITRE B, NAPIER R, HAWES C, 'Brefeldin A-induced Disassembly of the Golgi-apparatus Is Followed By Disruption of the Endoplasmic-reticulum in Plant-cells'
Journal of Experimental Botany 45 (1994) pp.1347-1351
ISSN: 0022-0957 eISSN: 1460-2431
- Co-organiser of conference on Internationalisation of the Curriculum for Global Citizenship: Policies, Practices and Pitfalls, at Oxford Brookes University 2009
- Co-organiser of UKCISA conference on Internationalising the Home Student: A Conference for Practitioners and Researchers, at Oxford Brookes University, 2008
The three research projects below were funded by BSLE (Brookes Student Learning Experience):
- Global Perspectives: Student Voices 2007-08 This project aimed to: understand Brookes students’ perceptions of internationalising the curriculum (IoC); obtain an insight into students’ experiences at Brookes in relation to IoC; obtain students’ views and suggestions on strategies they would like implemented at Brookes to facilitate IoC; provide quality information to Brookes on student expectations of IoC for future planning.
- Educated outside the UK – Educating the UK. 2008-2009 This project aims to understand more precisely the specific challenges for the student whose educational experience is from outside the UK and to frame the outcomes so university teachers are better able to appreciate and support the process of negotiation into a different educational culture.
- Fostering interculturality and global perspectives at Brookes through dialogue with staff 2008-2009. This project proposes to facilitate dialogue between international staff, staff with international educational experience and local staff with a view to learning from each other and exploring how curricula and pedagogy at Brookes could be enhanced by this intercultural knowledge and experience.
In addition to my work at Brookes, I am External Examiner in Language and Communication at Edinburgh Napier University. I have been a fellow of the Higher Education Academy since 2008. I referee articles for Language and Intercultural Communication.