Kerri received her PhD from the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa in 2006. Before coming to Oxford Brookes University, she was a Research Officer at the University of Oxford, a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Arizona, and has also taught Japanese language and linguistics courses at Hawai‘i Pacific University and the University of Hawai‘i. Kerri’s research is mainly concerned with the origins and development of the Japonic language family, which consists of the varieties of Japanese spoken in Japan and the Ryukyuan islands. She has also worked on Ainu, Middle Korean, and several Altaic languages spoken in East Asia. She continues to work on the development of the Oxford Corpus of Old Japanese, which is a long-term research project which aims to develop a comprehensive annotated digital corpus of all extant texts in Japanese from the earliest attested stage of the Japanese language. Kerri has been a member of three research projects based at the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (NINJAL): NINJAL Diachronic Corpus project, The Japanese Lexicon: A Rendaku Encyclopedia, and A Diachronic Contrastive Study of Japanese Interrogatives.
Teaching and supervision
- Japanese for Beginners (Module Leader)
- Japanese Reading and Writing 1 (Module Leader)
- Japanese Reading and Writing 2 (Module Leader)
- Tandem Language Learning (Module Leader)
- Academic Studies in Japan (Module Leader)
- Advanced Japanese Reading and Translation (Module Leader)
- Japanese 4B
- "Oxford Corpus of Old Japanese", University of Oxford, 1 January 2009 - present.
- "A Diachronic Contrastive Study of Japanese Interrogatives", National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics, 2013-2015.
- "The Japanese Lexicon: A Rendaku Encyclopedia", National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics, 2011-2014.
- "Verb semantics and argument realization in pre-modern Japanese", University of Oxford, 1 January 2009 - 20 June 2014.
Centres and institutes
Horn SW, Russell KL, 'Null pronouns in selected subordinate clauses in Old Japanese'
Acta Linguistica Hafniensia: International Journal of Linguistics 44 (2) (2012) pp.207-226
ISSN: 0374-0463Abstract Published here
Russell KL, Horn SW, 'Verb semantics and argument realization in pre-modern Japanese: A corpus based study.'
中華佛學學報 = Chung-Hwa Buddhist Journal 25 (2012) pp.129-148
Frellesvig B, Horn SW, Russell KL, Sells P, 'Verb Semantics and Argument Realization in Pre-Modern Japanese: A Preliminary Study of Compound Verbs in Old Japanese'
Gengo Kenkyu = Journal of the Linguistic Society of Japan 138 (2010) pp.25-65
ISSN: 0024-3914Abstract Published here