I have joined the team at the end of 2017, having moved from clinical occupational therapy practice and PhD studies.
I am a Children's Occupational Therapist and my current role is to teach across several modules in the BSc and MSc courses. I lead several modules on Research Methods and Paediatrics. I am also responsible for coordinating the MSc programme. Sharing the responsibility with my colleagues, I support students with their dissertations and with their clinical placements in a variety of areas. I am also an academic adviser for a group of students.
Alongside my academic activities, I continue to work as an occupational therapist for Oxford University Hospitals in the neuroscience team.
Areas of expertise
- Physical activity/Sedentray behaviour
A mix of curiosity and the drive to improve children's health motivated me towards research within the field of physical activity and sedentary behaviour in children. The focus of my PhD, which I started in 2015 and completed in 2019 is ethnic differences in sedentary behaviour and physical activity in primary school aged children. The study is based in Bradford and is part of the Born in Bradford study.
Centres and institutes
Aron P. Sherry ,Natalie Pearson ,Nicola D. Ridgers ,William Johnson ,Sally E. Barber ,Daniel D. Bingham ,Liana C. Nagy and Stacy A. Clemes , 'Impacts of a Standing Desk Intervention within an English Primary School Classroom: A Pilot Controlled Trial'
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 17 (19) (2020)
ISSN: 1661-7827 eISSN: 1660-4601Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Liana Carmen Nagy, Muhammad Faisal, Maria Horne, Paul Collings, Sally Barber, Mohammed Mohammed, 'Factors associated with accelerometer measured movement behaviours among White British and South Asian children aged 6–8 years during school terms and school holidays'
BMJ Open 9 (8) (2019)
ISSN: 2044-6055 eISSN: 2044-6055Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Liana C Nagy, Maria Horne, Mohammad Faisal, M A Mohammed, Sally E Barber, 'Ethnic differences in sedentary behaviour in 6-8-year-old children during school terms and school holidays: a mixed methods study'
BMC Public Health 19 (2019)
ISSN: 1471-2458 eISSN: 1471-2458Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Aron P Sherry, Natalie Pearson, Nicola D Ridgers, Sally E Barber, Daniel D Bingham, Liana C Nagy, Stacy A Clemes, 'activPAL-measured sitting levels and patterns in 9-10 years old children from a UK city'
Journal of Public Health 41 (4) (2018) pp.757-764
ISSN: 0943-1853 eISSN: 1613-2238Abstract Published here
Sally E Barber, Brian Kelly, PAul J Collings, Liana Nagy, Tracy Bywater, John Wright, 'Prevalence, trajectories, and determinants of television viewing time, in an ethnically diverse sample of young children from the UK'
International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 14 (2017)
ISSN: 1479-5868Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Registered member of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists - specialist children's section
- Member of Sensory Integration Network
- Member of the "Mind the Gap Evidence Based Practice" network
I am actively contributing to conferences in my area of expertise. Examples inculde:
- DCD UK, Cardiff, 2021: "The barriers and facilitators to reducing sedentary behaviour among 6-8 years’ old White British and South Asian children: a qualitative study with children, parents and teachers, guided by the Theoretical Domains Framework"
- HEPA Europe, Zagreb, 2017: "Ethnic differences in sedentary behaviour in primary school aged children during school terms and school holidays."
- UKSBM, Cardiff, 2016: "Prevalence, determinants and trajectories in television viewing in an ethnically diverse sample from the UK."
- The British Science Festival, Bradford, 2015: " Glued to my seat. What's keeping me here?"