I teach on tourism, entrepreneurship, consultancy and also supervise PhDs on a range of topics related to ethics, tourism, hospitality and sustainability. Cross cutting themes that emerge across my research relate to behaviour change and governance. I also run a small boutique tourism consultancy business that works across a range of creative, cultural and tourism sectors focussed on issues related to placemaking and sustainability. I love the way in which my consultancy informs my teaching/PhD supervision and my teaching provides insights that have relevance for consultancy.
Teaching and supervision
- Tourism Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Tourism Consultancy Project
- Context of International Tourism
I supervise PhDs across a range of issues (e.g. animal welfare and its interface with tourism; analysing marketing strategies that are relevant to different tourism markets; changing behaviours to favour pro-environmental choices among staff; engaging volunteers as effective insiders in organisations and evaluating the ways in which modern slavery and human rights considerations are integrated into the day to day operations of tourism and hospitality busiesses.
|Janrapee Kemthong||An investigation of stakeholder relationship patterns in the planning process of cultural event tourism (CET)||Active|
My research is primarily driven by my business and relates to sustainable tourism and - increasingly - placemaking.
The results of my research are embedded into my consultancy work and provide insights for tourism strategy development, work focussed around using tourism and creative industries as mechanisms to tell the story of place and inform business/third sector strategies vis-a-vis changing towards behaviours/introducing guidelines to favour sustainable/ethical choices.
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow - Institute of Place
- Member - Tourism Society
- Board Member - Tourism Consultants Network
- Vorsters, S., De Lacy, T., Lipman, G. and Hawkins, R. (2011) 'Travelism and Green Growth: Realising a 2050 vision by making step changes today'. Paper presented at the Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future, Monaco, December.
- Waligo, V., Clarke, J. and Hawkins, R. (2010) 'Implementing Sustainable Development in Tourism: A Stakeholder Approach'. Paper presented at the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sheffield, September.
- Clarke, J. and Hawkins, R. (2008) 'Towards a conceptual framework for sustainable tourism management issues based on business size'. Paper presented at the British Academy of Management, Harrogate, September.
- Clarke, J. and Hawkins, R. (2008) 'Towards a conceptual framework for sustainable tourism management issues based on business size'. Paper presented at the British Association of Management and Finance conference, Harrogate, September.