I teach on tourism, entrepreneurship, consultancy and also supervise PhDs on a range of topics related to ethics, tourism, hospitality and sustainability. Cross cutting themes that emerge across my research relate to behaviour change and governance. I also run a small boutique tourism consultancy business that works across a range of creative, cultural and tourism sectors focussed on issues related to placemaking and sustainability. I love the way in which my consultancy informs my teaching/PhD supervision and my teaching provides insights that have relevance for consultancy.
Teaching and supervision
- International Hospitality, Events and Tourism Management (MSc)
- International Hospitality and Tourism Management (BSc (Hons))
- HOTO7019 - Tourism Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- HOTO7015 - Tourism Consultancy Project
- HOTO4006 - Context of International Tourism
I supervise PhDs across a range of issues (e.g. animal welfare and its interface with tourism; analysing marketing strategies that are relevant to different tourism markets; changing behaviours to favour pro-environmental choices among staff; engaging volunteers as effective insiders in organisations and evaluating the ways in which modern slavery and human rights considerations are integrated into the day to day operations of tourism and hospitality busiesses.
My research is primarily driven by my business and relates to sustainable tourism and - increasingly - placemaking.
The results of my research are embedded into my consultancy work and provide insights for tourism strategy development, work focussed around using tourism and creative industries as mechanisms to tell the story of place and inform business/third sector strategies vis-a-vis changing towards behaviours/introducing guidelines to favour sustainable/ethical choices.
Chawla G, Lugosi P, Hawkins R, 'Food Waste Drivers in Corporate Luxury Hotels: Competing Perceptions and Priorities across the Service Cycle'
Tourism and Hospitality 2 (3) (2021) pp.302-318
ISSN: 2673-5768 eISSN: 2673-5768Abstract Published here
Waligo V, Clarke J, Hawkins R, 'Embedding stakeholders in sustainable tourism strategies'
Annals of Tourism Research 55 (November) (2015) pp.90-93
ISSN: 0160-7383Abstract Published here
Waligo V, Clarke J, Hawkins R, 'The "leadership-stakeholder involvement capacity" nexus in stakeholder management'
Journal of Business Research 67 (7) (2014) pp.1342-1352
ISSN: 0148-2963 eISSN: 1873-7978Abstract Published here
Waligo V N M , Clarke J, Hawkins R, 'Implementing sustainable tourism: a multi-stakeholder involvement management framework'
Tourism Management 36 (June) (2013) pp.342-353
ISSN: 0261-5177Abstract Published here
Hawkins R, Chan E, 'Application of EMSs in a hotel context: a case study'
International Journal of Hospitality Management 31 (2) (2012) pp.405-418
ISSN: 0278-4319Abstract Published here
Chan E, Hawkins R, 'Attitude towards EMSs in an international hotel: An exploratory case study'
International Journal of Hospitality Management 29 (4) (2009)
ISSN: 0278-4319Published here
Rimmington M, Smith JC, Hawkins R, 'Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainable Food Procurement'
British Food Journal 108 (2007) pp.824-837
ISSN: 0007-070XPublished here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow - Institute of Place
- Member - Tourism Society
- Board Member - Tourism Consultants Network
- Vorsters, S., De Lacy, T., Lipman, G. and Hawkins, R. (2011) 'Travelism and Green Growth: Realising a 2050 vision by making step changes today'. Paper presented at the Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future, Monaco, December.
- Waligo, V., Clarke, J. and Hawkins, R. (2010) 'Implementing Sustainable Development in Tourism: A Stakeholder Approach'. Paper presented at the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sheffield, September.
- Clarke, J. and Hawkins, R. (2008) 'Towards a conceptual framework for sustainable tourism management issues based on business size'. Paper presented at the British Academy of Management, Harrogate, September.
- Clarke, J. and Hawkins, R. (2008) 'Towards a conceptual framework for sustainable tourism management issues based on business size'. Paper presented at the British Association of Management and Finance conference, Harrogate, September.