I am a Lecturer, Subject Co-ordinator and Student Experience Officer.
I graduated from the University of Chichester with a BSc in Sport and Exercise Science (honours) in 2014. I then completed my MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Nutrition from Oxford Brookes University in 2015. More recently, I completed my PhD at University of Chichester in the area of Exercise Recovery and Polyphenols in March 2021.
I am a Fellow of Advance HE (FHEA) and hold a PGcert in Higher Education. I am also a Honorary Clinical Research Fellow with the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust where I am currently working on the INTERPRACTICE-21st project in collaboration with Oxford University.
Areas of expertise
- Exercise induced musle damage
- Functional foods as strategies to aid recovery from strenuous exercise
- Body composition methodologies
- Statistical approaches for individual data analyses
Teaching and supervision
- Applied Human Nutrition (MSc, PGDip, PGCert)
- Applied Sport and Exercise Nutrition (MSc, PGDip)
- Nutrition (BSc (Hons))
- Sport and Exercise Science (BSc (Hons))
- Food Groups
- Scientific Skills for Health Scientists
- Research Methods
- Professional Practice for Nutritionists 2
- Sport and Exercise Nutrition
- Energy Regulation & Obesity
- Applied Laboratory Techniques
|Flick Lucas||Genetic Predisposition and Clinical Risk Factors on Bone and Musculoskeletal injuries in Competitive Contact Sports: With a focus on the Female Athlete.||Active|
My research interests are in polyphenol supplementation, exercise recovery, sport & exercise nutrition and body composition methodologies.
Ph.D. from University of Chichester (2017 - 2020) thesis titled: 'Group and inter-individual responses to the effect of New Zealand blackcurrant (Ribes nigrum) supplementation on recovery from exercise induced muscle damage'.
Centres and institutes
Costello, R., Keane, K.M., Lee, B.J., Willems, M.E.T., Myers, S.D., Myers, F., Lewis, N.A., & Blacker, S.D. , 'Plasma uptake of selected phenolic acids following New Zealand blackcurrant extract supplementation in humans'
Journal of Dietary Supplements online first (2021)
ISSN: 1939-0211 eISSN: 1939-022XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Costello R, Willems MET, Myers SD, Myers F, Lewis NA, Lee BJ, Blacker SD, 'No Effect of New Zealand Blackcurrant Extract on Recovery of Muscle Damage Following Running a Half-Marathon'
International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 30 (4) (2020) pp.287-294
ISSN: 1526-484X eISSN: 1543-2742Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Hiles AM, Flood TR, Lee BJ, Wheeler LEV, Costello R, Walker EF, Ashdown KM, Kuennen MR, Willems MET, 'Dietary supplementation with New Zealand blackcurrant extract enhances fat oxidation during submaximal exercise in the heat'
Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 23 (10) (2020) pp.908-912
ISSN: 1440-2440 eISSN: 1878-1861Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Memberships of professional bodies
- Practitioner registrant, Sport and Exercise Nutrition (SENr)
- British Dietitic Association (BDA) Assoiate member
- The Physiological Society Affiliate member
- Learning and Teaching Conference (L&T). Southampton 2019.
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Poster presentation. Florida 2019.
- International Sports Exercise Nutrition Conference (ISENC). Newcastle 2015, 2018 and 2019 (oral presentation).
- The Physiological Society. Four-day molecular biology workshop. London 2017.
- Sports and Exercise Nutrition Register Showcase (SENr). Leeds 2016.
- Sports and Exercise Nutrition Register Portfolio Training Day (SENr). Birmingham 2019.
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES). Student conference. Poster presentation. Bangor 2016.
Owner of own nutrition based consultancy 'Invictus Performance Nutrition' sine 2015.