My main research interests are tourism, hospitality, and services marketing. I received my PhD from the School of Hotel and Tourism Management at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University which was supported by a Hong Kong PhD Fellowship. My work appeared in the Journal of Travel Research, Annals of Tourism Research, Journal for Travel and Tourism Marketing, International Journal of Tourism Research, Journal of Vacation Marketing, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management and Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management.
I am an editorial board member for the Journal of Vacation Marketing and co-edited a special issue for the Journal of China Tourism Research on "Domestic Tourism in China". I served as an executive committee member for a number of conferences and non-profit organizations. I teach quantitative research methods and co-supervise a number of PhD students. I specialise in structural equation modelling (LISREL, AMOS, and SmartPLS and ADANCO).
Research group membership
- Marketing, Society and Technology
- Australian Centre for Asian Business
- Australia-China Tourism Research Network (ACTRN)
- Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE)
Research grants and awards
- Van der Veen, R. (2015). Why travel matters: Investigation into personal wellbeing and the benefits of leisure travel. Central Research Fund – Phase 1. Oxford Brookes University (~£2,500).
- Bretag, T., Zhu, Y., & van der Veen, R. (2014). Ready for take-off: Preparing students for intercultural learning in Asia [SD14-3759]. Office for Learning and Teaching, Department of Education & Training, Commonwealth of Australia (~£25,000).
- Van der Veen, R. (2014). Understanding China Fellowship. Confucius Institute HanBan (~£2,500).
- Deepak, S., van der Veen, R., & Zhu, Y. (2013). Investigating the career barriers among skilled migrants from China and India in South Australia. University of South Australia (~£2,500).
- Van der Veen, R. (2013). Ten Really Good Grants Scheme, University of South Australia (~£5,000).
- Huang, S., & van der Veen, R. (2013). Using free-listing to explore Chinese residents’ perceptions of Australia as a tourist destination. Le Cordon Bleu – University of South Australia (~£2,500).
- Van der Veen, R. (2013). Early Career Researcher Travel Grant, University of South Australia (~£4,000).
- Van der Veen, R., Huang, S., & Zhu, Y. (2012). Evaluating Chinese’s student’s travel experiences: An application of the Experience Economy Model in Australia. University of South Australia (~£2,500).
Tourist Satisfaction Index: This project addresses two challenges that the tourism and hospitality industry are facing. The first challenge features the globalisation of consumption that requires all stakeholders – both private and public organizations deliver a high-quality experience to visitors as well as to residents. The second challenge relates to the difficulty in uniformly measuring sustainable tourism development across a range of various service providers and source markets
Intercultural Learning: This project addresses the growth in student mobility to Asia and focuses on the less researched area of pre-departure support for intercultural learning. International education must be more than a commodity and universities need to shift the focus from business to genuine exchange.
Molyn J, de Haan E, van der Veen R, Gray D, 'The Impact of Common Factors on Coaching Outcomes'
Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice x (2021)
ISSN: 1752-1882 eISSN: 1752-1890Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Hennings Matthias, Zhu Ying, Veen Robert, 'Developing the capacity for a proactively self‐managed career: an analysis of aspiring new‐generation employees in Japan'
Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources x (2021)
ISSN: 1038-4111 eISSN: 1744-7941Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Huang S, van der Veen R, Song Z, 'The impact of coping strategies on occupational stress and turnover intentions among hotel employees'
Journal of Hospitality Marketing and Management 27 (8) (2019) pp.926-945
ISSN: 1936-8623 eISSN: 1936-8631Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Huang S, van der Veen R, 'The moderation of gender and generation in the effects of perceived destination image on tourist attitude and visit intention: A study of potential Chinese visitors to Australia'
Journal of Vacation Marketing 25 (3) (2018) pp.375-389
ISSN: 1356-7667 eISSN: 1479-1870Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Hosany S, Prayag G, Van Der Veen R, Huang S, Deesilatham S, 'Mediating Effects of Place Attachment and Satisfaction on the Relationship between Tourists’ Emotions and Intention to Recommend'
Journal of Travel Research 56 (8) (2017) pp.1079-1093
ISSN: 0047-2875 eISSN: 1552-6763Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Sardana D, Zhu Y, Van der Veen R, 'Unlocking the talents-in-waiting: Case study analysis of Chinese and Indian high-skilled migrants in South Australia'
International Migration 54 (6) (2017) pp.74-93
ISSN: 0020-7985 eISSN: 1468-2435Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Bretag T, van der Veen R, 'Pushing the boundaries: Participant motivation and benefits of short-term international study tours'
Innovations in Education and Teaching International 54 (3) (2017) pp.175-183
ISSN: 1470-3297Abstract Published here
Huang S, Afsharifar A, van der Veen R, 'Examining the moderating role of prior knowledge in the relationship between destination experiences and tourist satisfaction'
Journal of Vacation Marketing 30 (2016) pp.1-15
ISSN: 1356-7667 eISSN: 1479-1870Abstract Published here
Su L, Huang S, van der Veen R, Chen X, 'Corporate social responsibility, corporate reputation, customer emotions and behavioral intentions: A structural equation modeling analysis'
Journal of China Tourism Research 10 (4) (2014) pp.511-529
ISSN: 1938-8160 eISSN: 1938-8179Abstract Published here
Huang S, van der Veen R, Zhang G, 'New Era of China Tourism Research'
Journal of China Tourism Research 10 (4) (2014) pp.379-387
ISSN: 1938-8160Abstract Published here
van der Veen R, Song H, 'Impact of the perceived image of celebrity endorsers on tourists' intentions to visit'
Journal of Travel Research 53 (2) (2014) pp.211-224
ISSN: 0047-2875 eISSN: 1552-6763Abstract Published here
Penfold P, van der Veen R, 'Investigating Learning Approaches of Confucian Heritage Culture Students and Teachers' Perspectives in Hong Kong'
Journal of Teaching in Travel and Tourism 14 (1) (2014) pp.69-86
ISSN: 1531-3220Abstract Published here
Song H., van der Veen R., Li G., Chen J., 'The Hong Kong tourist satisfaction index'
Annals of Tourism Research 39 (1) (2012) pp.459-479
ISSN: 0160-7383Abstract Published here
Song H., Li G., Van Der Veen R., Chen J., 'Assessing mainland Chinese tourists' satisfaction with Hong Kong using tourist satisfaction index'
International Journal of Tourism Research 13 (1) (2011) pp.82-96
ISSN: 1099-2340Abstract Published here
van der Veen R., Song H., 'Exploratory study of the measurement scales for the perceived image and advertising effectiveness of celebrity endorsers in a tourism context'
Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing 27 (5) (2010) pp.460-473
ISSN: 1054-8408Abstract Published here
van der Veen R., 'Celebrity endorsement effectiveness for print destination advertising'
European Journal of Tourism Research 2 (2) (2009) pp.186-189
ISSN: 1994-7658Published here
van der Veen R., 'Analysis of the implementation of celebrity endorsement as a destination marketing instrument'
Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing 24 (2008) pp.213-222
ISSN: 1054-8408Abstract Published here
Law R., van der Veen R., 'The popularity of prestigious hospitality journals: A Google Scholar approach'
International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 20 (2) (2008) pp.113-125
ISSN: 0959-6119Abstract Published here
Teaching and supervision
- Research Degree Program in Business [BU800] - Quantitative Research Methods B
- Research Methods for Events and Marketing [MARK7006] - SPSS 1 & 2
- MSc in Marketing [P58898] - Dissertation
- Anna Rozumowski - Evaluating trust based on impression formation in business encounters. Supervisors: Dermody, J., van der Veen, R. & Hari, J.
- John Hornby: Employee hospitableness, the working environment and their effects on employee happiness. Supervisors: Lugosi, P., van der Veen, R. & , Losekoot, E.
- Nasim Iqbal - Customer engagement in the retail sector utilising social media. Supervisors: Dermody, J. & van der Veen, R.
- The Power of Caring in Tourism Marketing. 2nd International Forum of Tourism Communication. Tourism Communication Research Center. Communication University of China, Hainan, China (19 November 2017).
- Understanding the Leisure Traveler: Reliable Data with Practical Relevance. TBEX Europe, Stockholm, Sweden (15 July 2016).
- Milestones, Measurements and Misconceptions in Tourism Marketing Research. International Forum of Tourism Communication. Tourism Communication Research Center. Communication University of China, Beijing, China (21 May 2016).
- How do you SEM? Pros and Cons of Software Packages for Structural Equation Modelling. Royal Statistical Society, London (28 January 2016).
- Bicester Motion (2021). Economic Impact Study (2019-2020). Le Roux, S. & van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Bicester Motion
- Blenheim Estate – Economic Impact Study Phase 4 (2020). Le Roux, S. & van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Blenheim Palace Estate, UK
- Visitor Satisfaction Index - 2018 (2019). van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Cape Town Tourism, South Africa
- Blenheim Estate – Economic Impact Study Phase 3 (2019). Le Roux, S. & van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Blenheim Palace Estate, UK
- Bicester Motion (2019). Economic Impact Study (2017-2018). Le Roux, S. & van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Bicester Motion
- Blenheim Estate – Economic Impact Study Phase 2 (2018). Le Roux, S. & van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Blenheim Palace Estate, UK
- Blenheim Estate – Economic Impact Study (2018). Le Roux, S., van der Veen, R., & McBain, L. Commissioned by Blenheim Palace Estate, UK
- Visitor Satisfaction Index - 2017 (2018). van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Cape Town Tourism, South Africa
- Webloyalty 5 Ps of Shopper Motivation (2017). van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Webloyalty International Ltd, UK
- Understanding the Path to Engagement (2016). Dermody, J., & van der Veen, R. Commissioned by Affinion UK Ltd, UK
- Public Engagement in Clinical Research – Public Awareness, Attitudes & Communication Preferences (2016). Dermody, J., & van der Veen, R. Commissioned by the National Institute for Health Research