Mechanics, Materials and Design (MMD)
This group combines research expertise in mechanics, materials and design.
- Mechanics - the group has expertise in structure-borne sound source characterisation, vibration and sound transmission and dynamic system parameter estimation.
- Materials - the group works on the development of material manufacturing processes and investigates strain rate sensitivity, temperature dependency, residual stresses, strength, wear and fatigue life of materials and structures.
- Design - the group has developed products to meet customer specifications in a wide range of fields from sustainable bicycles to orthopaedic supports.
The MMD group has developed new metal alloys and is working on elongating the life of artificial knee joint replacements. The group has many contacts with industry and has worked recently on projects such as:
- reducing noise within electric motors
- improving the manufacturing process of Metal Matrix Composites
- determining the life of AGR nuclear reactor graphite bricks.
|Dr Olga Barrera||Senior Lecturer in Thermodynamics and Dynamicsemail@example.com|
|Dr Colin Bell||Senior Lecturer in Engineering Designfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Professor James Broughton||Professor in Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Professor John Durodola||Professor in Mechanical Engineering and Mathematical Sciencesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Neil Fellows||Reader in Mechanical Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Dr Shpend Gerguri||Reader in Engineering Designfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Douglas Higgison||Principal Lecturer and Undergraduate Programme Leademail@example.com|
|Professor Allan Hutchinson||Professor - Head of Sustainable Vehicle Engineering Centrefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Alessio Peluso||Lecturer in Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Dr Marco Raugei||Senior Research Fellow in Mechanical Engineeringfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Stephen Samuel||Reader in Mechanical Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Dr Anand Thite||Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineeringfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Professor Michael Todinov||Professor in Mechanical Engineeringemail@example.com|
|Professor Iakovos Tzanakis||Professor in Engineering Materialsfirstname.lastname@example.org|