Tier 5 - Government authorised exchange

The government authorised exchange is a category where migrants are able to come to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice, and to experience the social and cultural life of the UK.  This category cannot be used to fill job vacancies. 

From 6th April 2012 all existing and newly approved schemes will fall under one of the three following categories:

  1. A Work Experience Programme
  2. A Research Programme - These schemes are to allow migrants to undertake research programmes and fellowships, on a scientific, academic, medical or government research project at a HEI.
  3. A Training Programme

The University is able to use the above category to accommodate Sponsored Researchers.  Sponsored Researchers are generally academic visitors funded externally to do formal research and who are not filling any vacancy in the university.  These visitors will require the university to apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship under Tier 5. 

Any work they do must be skilled which means it must be equivalent to NVQ or SVQ level 3 or above.  A Sponsored Researcher can stay in the UK for up to 24 months under this category.

Please contact your link HR Team at the earliest opportunity with regards to visiting academics and sponsored researchers so that they can advise which course of action to take.