New beginnings for Buckley building
Thursday, 31 March 2016
One of the most visible buildings on Oxford Brookes' Headington Campus has reopened following a largescale refurbishment.
The Buckley building, located on the Headington Road, has been transformed from research hub to house much of the University’s directorate support staff.
Buckley is also home to Wellbeing, the University’s counselling, chaplaincy and student support services, which occupies the building’s first floor from today (31 March). This new home for Wellbeing provides an easily accessible place for students to seek advice and help when they need it most.
Originally opened in 2006 by then Chancellor Jon Snow, Buckley has served as a hub for University research for the past ten years.
The building was named in honour of Howard Buckley, who took over as Principal of the Oxford College of Technology in 1956 from John Henry Brookes, the spiritual founder of the institution.
The building was named in honour of Howard Buckley, who took over as Principal of the Oxford College of Technology in 1956 from John Henry Brookes, the spiritual founder of the institution. The College, a predecessor institution of Oxford Brookes, had moved to the site in Headington earlier that decade. You can read more about Oxford Brookes’ 150-year journey on the University’s history pages.
The colocation of support staff will help to improve the way directorates support the University’s academic output and provide a central base for these vital functions.
The moves come as Headington Campus is about to embark on an exciting redevelopment of the Clerici, Main Hall and former library buildings on the Gipsy Lane side of the Campus. This multimillion pound investment will create a new home for Brookes’ Business School and provide 28 new state-of-the-art teaching rooms, a collaborative lecture theatre and new social learning space.