Works to start on £1.6m summer refurbishment of Wheatley Campus
Monday, 03 July 2017
Work starts next week on the £1.6 million refurbishment of key student and staff spaces across the Wheatley Campus.
The refurbishment work will take place in two phases: the first will run from Monday 10 July 2017 to mid-September; the second from September and lasting through Semester 1. You can see the schedule below.
The library and Simon Williams Centre are among the spaces being redesigned following feedback from students and staff. The ground floor of the Simon Williams Centre will become a new student recreational space and the home of a gym. The library will include new group and individual study space. We’ll also improve F102 (lecture theatre) and the campus’ specialist computing labs.
- Simon Williams Centre: a new student space, including a pool table, online gaming and kitchenette facilities plus a gym with cardio machines, weights and space for classes. The first floor will be the new home of OCSLD.
- Library: new group and study spaces and a hub for student advice. The cash machine will also be located in the library foyer, meaning it’s available for longer. See below for alternative library arrangements during the works.
- H Block: the current library extension will become a business incubation space and computer room. The H Block lobby area will be redecorated in sections.
- The Hub: will incorporate the Grab & Go shop, stocking the top-selling items.
- F102: complete refurbishment of the lecture theatre.
- G and E blocks: to house specialist computing laboratories.
- E and B blocks: the new home of academic colleagues in the new School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics, who will move from C Block and Turing.
- Areas of C Block: will be refurbished to house HR and Occupational Health teams.
- A Block: will become the new campus reception.
What should I expect during the works?
As most of the refurbishment is being carried out away from occupied buildings, high levels of disruption aren’t expected. However, some alternative arrangements are in place in some areas.
From Monday 10 July until the works are complete, the library will be based in the Postgraduate Lounge in B Block. The Pop-up Library will have computers and library staff available for enquiries and support. Books stocked at Wheatley must be requested in advance and collected from this space. More information about can be found on the library webpages.
Computer rooms on the ground floor of G Block and in the library will be unavailable from 10 July until phase one is complete. Computers in R building, The Hub and in the Postgraduate Lounge and Pop-up Library space will be available throughout the works, for all to use.
The Hub will remain open as normal throughout the summer refurbishment works. The cafe in the Simon Williams building will close on Friday 7 July.
Follow the progress of the works on the Space to Think Works Update – and sign up to the weekly digest.