• Staff and students are advised to consult Section C: Academic Appeals, Student Complaints and Conduct Regulations of the University Regulations.

    The Student Complaints pages on the Student Disputes website provide useful guidance for staff as well as setting out the complaints procedures.

    If you have any questions about procedures, contact Student Disputes in Student Central for advice. Following the introduction of new regulations in December 2014, both the Academic Appeals and Complaints procedures have a two-level structure; with senior staff and Examination Committee Chairs responding to students at each level. Students will need to complete a Complaints and Appeals Form (PDF) and send it to the Student Disputes team. More information can be found on the Student Disputes website.

    Students can seek authoritative advice about their concerns from the Student Disputes team, as well as independent advice or help putting their case together from the Brookes Union.

    If the complaint is about you, contact your Trade Union.


    Suggestions to student
    First read....

    .... and/or contact

    Quality of teaching

    Student Complaint Procedure

    Course rep, who can raise it with the Subject Co-ordinator or Course Committee, Student Dispute Officers

    The SC yourself, informally, or the SC's line manager if appropriate

    Inappropriate behaviour or language, harassment or bullying by lecturers or students

    Student Complaint Procedure

    Policy and procedure on harassment and bullying and the Student Conduct Regulations Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy

    Complaints about other students

    Student Conduct Regulations

    Relevant disciplinary officer identified in the Student Conduct Regulations Appendix or the Student Disputes team.

    Dissatisfaction over mark or grade

    Programme handbook

    Academic Appeals Regulations

    Note: Any academic appeal must be submitted by the student to the Student Disputes team within two months of the decision/mark being published. An academic appeal must be based on one of three grounds, irregularity in conduct of assessment, bias or administrative error. Disagreement with academic judgement are specifically excluded. Ill-health or other mitigating circumstances should be raised through the Mitigating Circumstances Regulations.

    The Module Leader or Subject Co-ordinator for feedback about the mark.

    For authoritative advice about the procedures, contact Student Disputes in Student Central.

    For independent advice about the procedures and about student's specific concerns, contact Brookes Union.