Faculties or Directorates will determine the number of First Aiders and Lifesavers needed by completing a First Aid Needs Assessment. The number of first aiders trained and equipment needed is reviewed annually with the Facilities Managers in consultation with the OH Department.
Oxford Brookes first aiders have completed the 3-day First Aid at Work training. The role of the first aider is to:
- Provide an immediate treatment service for minor injuries and advise on possible and appropriate further actions
- Advise on the immediate supervision of serious accidents and illnesses - ensure that specialist help is obtained as necessary.
Oxford Brookes life-savers have completed the 1-day Emergency First Aid course which meets the standards required to comply with the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981. This course is the minimum requirement for a person to deal with potential casualties in the workplace. Lifesavers provide support and backup to first aiders.
Location of the Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs)
Harcourt Hill Campus
- The AED is located by the sliding door in the main reception area.
- In Harcourt Hill Sports Centre the defib is on the wall to the right of reception desk.
- It is located in A Building in the corridor between the E and F staircases at the back entrance to the Wheatley Reception.
Marston Road Site
- Right hand pillar to right of facilities office ground floor foyer.
Clive Booth Student Village
- Reception, above the fire extinguisher box near N-X exit doors.
Terrace Restaurant - Gipsy Lane
- Just outside the entrance to the Terrace restaurant on the panel below the wifi box.
John Henry Brookes Building - Gipsy Lane
- JHBB main entrance, to left of reception desk as you walk in.
Clerici Gate Way - Gipsy Lane
- Lobby leading to Sir Kenneth Wheare Hall to the right of the lobby doors in the recessed part.
Human Performance Laboratory, John Payne Building – Gipsy Lane
- Located on the first floor.
Sports Performance Gym, Fuller building – Gipsy Lane
- Mounted on wall opposite main entrance doors.
Brookes Sport – Cheney Lane
- Behind the main sports centre reception desk.
Richard Hamilton Building - Headington Hill
- Bank foyer. Looking at the doors to the left above the fire extinguisher.
- In Joel Joffe Building in front of the Reception in the Foyer area to the right of the window.
Brookes Boat Club - Cholsey
- Inside the boat house.
Location of staff rest rooms
- Headington Campus - Clerici CLC.G.05
- Marston Road Campus - MR1.27
- Swindon Campus - Quiet Room JOF 1.17
- Harcourt Hill Campus:
- Westminster Hall - H1E Westminster Hall (8.00 - 6.00), access via Reception Desk at Harcourt reception x5403)
- Harcourt Hill Hall FG12
- Wheatley Campus - C133 (access through OH)
Disposal of clinical waste
OH assessment and procedure following a blood contamination incident
A contamination incident would include a sharps injury from a used needle/sharp, a splash of blood or blood stained body fluids into eyes, nose or mouth and a bite or scratch that breaks the skin. First aiders will be able to advise members of staff of the OH arrangements in place to respond to such incidents.
- All clinical waste will be segregated from general landfill waste in order to dispose of in accordance with The Hazardous Waste Regulations (2005)
- Three main forms of clinical waste are produced throughout the University outside of the medical and science teaching labs; spills of blood, spills of other body fluids and needles or sharps. This clinical waste can be generated in the halls, campus buildings and left in the grounds of the estate.
- Small Sharps bins are available in halls offices, campus receptions, staff and student rest rooms, grounds sheds and in student rooms where a request for sharps bins has been made. All sharps items should be placed in these bins.
- Once a sharps bin is full, a clinical waste bag has been used or a blood/ vomit spill kit has been used, contact the Maintenance Service Help Desk on x 8888 or email@example.com. The help desk will arrange for the collection of the sealed clinical waste bin/bag via the Grounds Team.