Before you start

Your contract of employment

Before you join you will receive a contract of employment and a set of forms and documents you need to return before you start, or as soon as possible once you have started. These are:

  • a signed copy of your contract
  • copies of your academic qualification certificates, as applicable for your role
  • a completed and signed medical questionnaire
  • a signed systems IT access request form
  • your P45 (if you do not have a P45, please complete the HMRC new starter checklist form
  • a photocopy of your National Insurance card or a letter from HMRC confirming your National Insurance number

Travel arrangements and parking

As a major employer in Oxfordshire, Brookes is committed to minimising its impact on traffic in the local area. Because of this, and the limitations on the number of parking spaces available, we have a number of offers available to encourage staff to use alternative forms of transport:

These options include:

  • Public transport: particularly the Brookes Bus which provides various services between the Brookes campuses and the city centre. The BrookesKey also provides a number of staff discounts on bus and coach travel.
  • Up to £5000 staff interest free loan for all public transport annual passes with a number of discounts available when purchased through the University.
  • Cycling: we offer a regular bike maintenance service, as well as a cycle to work scheme to assist with the cost of purchasing a bike.

To find out more about parking arrangements and the different travel options available, visit our travel pages or email for more details.

New to the area

New to Oxfordshire

Oxfordshire is a wonderful county, offering a beautiful rural landscape as well as a vibrant city full of culture and history. With numerous market towns outside the city and many attractive villages, there are a vast variety of places to live. Visit the Oxfordshire County Council website to find out more about living in Oxfordshire.

New to Wiltshire

If your new role at Brookes is based in Swindon, you may want to look at moving to Wiltshire. Swindon is located in the North-East corner of Wiltshire which boarders Oxfordshire. To find out more about living in Wiltshire, visit the Wiltshire Council website.

New to the UK

If you are moving to the UK for the first time, you may have questions about living here, as well as the preparations you need to make before you arrive. The guide for international staff living in the UK covers the most common topics raised by new members of staff moving to the UK.

Relocation scheme

New members of staff moving to work at Brookes may be eligible for a relocation package. Reimbursements can be made of up to £5,000 (inclusive of VAT) for expenses necessarily incurred in relocating. To qualify, you must relocate within 50 kilometres of your primary location of work as specified in your contract of employment and have either a permanent contract, or a fixed-term contract of over two years’ duration.