• Going through immigration
  • Going through immigration

    When you arrive in the UK, you will go through immigration and customs control.  

  • If you are on a short course of 6 months or less and are NOT from a visa national country (check Appendix 1 of the Immigration Rules), you may be able to get your visa on arrival in the UK as a visitor visa. You will need to show the immigration officer:

    If you are national of an EU country, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA you can get a visitor visa by going through the eGates and the officials may direct you this way. If you go through the eGates, you will not get a stamp in your passport. You will need to keep documentation of your arrival into the UK as you will need to have a record of the date you entered. This could be your flight ticket/boarding pass/booking confirmation for the Channel tunnel. You will need to make sure you do not stay in the UK longer than 6 months after the date on this document.

    If you already have your visa you can either see a Border official or some nationalities can go through the e-Gates (EU country, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland and the United States of America). If you don't get a stamp in your passport, you will need to provide evidence of the date you arrived in the UK e.g. boarding pass.

    They may talk to you to check that your English language is good enough, and ask questions about why you are coming to the UK, your studies and how much money you are paying to study in the UK. You will need to be able to answer these questions without an interpreter, even if they say you can have one.

    Make sure you have these documents in your hand luggage

    • Your valid passport with your entry clearance visa sticker.
    • Student or Tier 4 visas holders- your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) that we sent you by email. This is particularly important if your current visa doesn't cover the full length of your course and you will be extending your visa in the UK.
    • Visitor visas holders- your unconditional offer letter.
    • Copies of the documents you used for your visa (electronic or paper) e.g. bank statements or official sponsorship letters, TB certificate if you needed one.
    • Any documents required to travel into the UK during the pandemic.

    In this situation it is best to apply for your visa for Brookes before you travel so you can enter the UK on this visa.

    However, if this is not possible to do and ISAT have advised that you can travel into the UK on your current visa, you must carry your Oxford Brookes CAS letter with you. You will have to apply for a new Student Route visa in the UK before you can enrol with us.

    If you have any questions, contact the International Student Advice Team before your travel.

    European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals who have Pre Settled or Settled status through the EU settlement scheme need to show a valid passport or national identity card. If you have a new passport or National Identity Card since you made your application, you must add a new document on the government view and prove your immigration service before travelling into the UK.

    Otherwise, EEA and Swiss nationals need a Visitor visa or Student visa as detailed above. If you are unsure what you should show, please contact ISAT.

    After going through immigration, you will go through customs. There are rules about bringing goods into the UK.

    • Using the red or green exit. The green exit is for those with nothing to declare, the red exit is for travellers with goods to declare. Even if you choose the green gate, the customs officer may still ask to check your luggage.
      Go through the red gate if you have: bought any goods tax free outside, or on the journey to the UK; or, you are carrying more than the allowed amount of alcoholic drinks, perfume or tobacco.
    • Money. You must declare if you are carrying the value of 10,000€ or more in cash, bankers draft or cheque by completing a form when you arrive. The customs officer will give you a copy of your form. Keep this with you to show that you have made a declaration. If you do not declare the money correctly, you may have to pay up to £5,000. Please find more information on the UK Government website.
  • When you have gone through customs, you can use our Meet and Greet Service or make your own way to Oxford.

  • Contact us

    International Student Advice Team

    Contact & opening hours »