Going through immigration at the airport

  • Twitter photo

    When you arrive in the UK, you will go through immigration and customs control. 

    Very few Brookes students have problems but if you need help, contact the  International Student Advice Team or telephone 01865 484681 or 01865 741111.

  • If you are on a short course of 6 months or less and are NOT from a visa national country (check Appendix 1 of the Immigration Rules), you may be able to get your visa on arrival in the UK as a short-term student. You will need to show the immigration officer:

    On arrival in the UK, you must see a Border Force officer at passport control. Do not use the eGates.

    If you are from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America you can get a visitor visa by going through the eGates and the officials may direct you this way. However, to get a short term student visa, you MUST get a stamp from a Border Force officer so make sure you go to an official NOT through the eGates. You might have to tell the Border Officials that you need a stamp, this PDF will explain why.

    Do not say that you are visiting the UK for a holiday or as a tourist. If you do not explain what you really intend to do in the UK, the immigration officers may think you are trying to deceive them and send you home.

    If you already have your visa and you are from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America you can either use the e-gates or see a Border Force official when travelling to the UK. All other nationalities will need to see a Border Official to get a stamp showing when you entered the UK.

    You will need to show your valid passport with your entry clearance visa sticker.

    They may talk to you to check that your English language is good enough, and ask questions about why you are coming to the UK, your studies and how much money you are paying to study in the UK.

    You will need to be able to answer these questions without an interpreter, even if they say you can have one.

    Make sure you have these documents in your hand luggage

    • For Tier 4 student visas - your CAS (confirmation of acceptance of studies) that we sent you by email. This is particularly important if your current visa doesn't cover the full length of your course and you will be extending your visa in the UK.
    • For short-term student visas - your unconditional offer letter
    • Bank statements or official sponsorship letters showing you can pay your fees and living costs
    • Passport
    • UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) (only if you have one)
    • Police Registration Certificate (only if you have one)
    • A health certificate or chest x-ray (only if students from your country need one). If you do not have one, the immigration officers may ask you to do a health check.

    In this situation it is best to apply for your visa for Brookes before you travel so you can enter the UK on this visa.

    However, if this is not possible to do and you are entering on a Tier 4 visa for a different college or university, you must carry your Oxford Brookes CAS letter with you. You will have to apply for a new Tier 4 visa in the UK before you can enrol with us.

    If you have any questions, contact the International Student Advice Team before your travel.

    European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals only need to show a valid passport or national identity card.

    After going through immigration, you will go through customs. There are rules about bringing goods into the UK.

    • Travellers from outside the EU use the red or green exit. The green exit is for those with nothing to declare, the red exit is for travellers with goods to declare. Even if you choose the green gate, the customs officer may still ask to check your luggage.
      Go through the red gate if you have: bought any goods tax free outside, or on the journey to the UK; or, you are carrying more than the allowed amount of alcoholic drinks, perfume or tobacco.
    • Travellers from the EU use the blue exit. There is no limit on goods (such as alcohol and tobacco) that you can bring as long as they are only for your own use. Customs officer may still ask to check your luggage. Illegal drugs, guns and other weapons, pornography, animals and plants are strictly controlled.
    • Money. You must declare if you are carrying the value of 10,000€ or more in cash, bankers draft or cheque by completing a form when you arrive. The customs officer will give you a copy of your form. Keep this with you to show that you have made a declaration. If you do not declare the money correctly, you may have to pay up to £5,000.
  • When you have gone through customs, you can use our Meet and Greet Service or make your own way to Oxford.