What to pack

Students often bring a large amount of luggage and can find it difficult to transport their belongings. The airport bus can limit the amount of luggage you can bring so think carefully about whether you need to bring everything you are planning to.

Proof of identity

  • Students from outside Europe, specifically the EEA (European Economic Area), will need their passport and visa. The visa may be on a UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card.
  • EEA national students need their passport to show their identity.
  • You must give your official full name on University and other official forms.
  • If you have changed your name, so that the name on your academic qualification certificate is no longer the name you use, you must also show an official document which records the change of name, for example, a marriage certificate or deed poll certificate.

Other useful documents

  • Bring a copy of your CAS (you can print the email you received containing the CAS information) and any offer letters we sent you in case you are asked for them when going through immigration at the airport.
  • Health certificates and vaccinations.
  • Bring copies of any medical records to show your doctor in the UK.
  • Diagnostic evidence for any disability or specific learning difficulty is important for students who have a disability and need support.
  • If you plan to look for part-time work in the UK while you are studying, bring written references from any employers you have worked for before. If they are not in English, get translations.


There is no dress code for day-to-day life as a student and most students wear casual clothes. There are a few occasions where you would need to wear formal dress, such as University balls, graduation or if you are going to a job interview. Some nightclubs do not allow you to wear jeans and trainers.

Electrical items

British electrical voltage is 240 volts and electrical equipment has a three-pin plug. The voltage and plugs will be different in your country. You may prefer to buy electrical equipment here after you arrive because if you bring your own goods they could be damaged or become unsafe. Basic hair dryers, for example, cost about £15-20. If you need to use an adaptor plug for any of your electrical goods, you can buy these from Accommodation for £5.

Items for living in Oxford

In halls of residence, the furniture is provided but you will need your own pillows, quilts, towels, sheets and quilt covers and dishes and cooking tools. 

  • Bedding and kitchen packs can be pre-ordered from your home country via UniKitOut and delivered to your door. You can also buy these products locally when you arrive, in the Oxford City centre. 
  • Shops such as Primark, Argos, M&S and Poundland stock household goods. You can order them before you arrive and go and collect them once you are here. 
  • In Cowley centre, shops such as Wilko, B&M, Asda Living or TK Maxx will sell these things. 
  • You can see examples of what you can buy in the UK from Argos
  • You can also buy used goods in charity shops close to Brookes or from websites such as Gumtree or Daily Info.

A set of plain dishes, plates and cups for four people can cost about £15; a set of basic saucepans costs £15–20.

You can find further information on our accommodation pages.

Study equipment and computers

You can use Brookes WiFi or Eduroam in nearly all areas of the campus. All halls of residence rooms also have an internet connection. If you need help with WiFi, please ask your hall manager or visit the IT service desk in John Henry Brookes Building, Headington Campus. After you have enrolled, you can access email, the internet and software applications from University computers.

If you are thinking of buying a computer here or have any questions, contact IT Services.

Luggage to carry with you

Hold luggage

We recommend that you put labels with your name and the full address of your hall, including your room number on the inside and outside of your luggage. The Airline coach allows 2 suitcases at up to 20kg each.

There are strict customs rules about bringing goods into the UK. If you bring things that are not allowed, such as drugs, weapons, animals and plants, you may have to pay a fine or be put in prison. There are also rules about bringing cash into the UK. You will go through customs checks when arriving in the UK.

When travelling by plane, you cannot pack sharp objects or liquids in your hand luggage as airport security staff may remove them so pack them in your luggage to go in the hold. Ask your airline if there are any other restrictions.

Hand luggage

Make sure you pack these documents in your hand luggage:

  • Your passport and visa
  • Your CAS (you can print the email you received containing the CAS information)
  • Your qualifications
  • Any personal items that you would not be able to replace if your luggage was lost

Sending luggage to Oxford

If you have more luggage than you can carry, you can send your things by sea or air. We recommend you check at least three companies for the best prices and service.

Pack everything carefully so that it does not break, and insure them. Address them to your room number at your hall or to your full Oxford address. Do not just put ‘Oxford Brookes University’, because it may get lost.

Check when your luggage will arrive to decide so you can plan what to bring yourself. Brookes cannot accept delivery of your things before you arrive. Fill in all the customs forms saying what is in your luggage and that they are ‘personal effects, part of a temporary move to the UK as an international student’. The customs officers can open your luggage, but if you give full details on the forms, they may not.