Lost or stolen passports, visas and BRPs

  • For help with correcting or replacing a visa, BRP or passport, please contact ISAT

    For more information, you can also check this UKCISA webpage.

  • If your lost or stolen BRP was valid for 3 months or more, you will need to report this to the UKVI. Doing this cancels your BRP card. If you find it after you have reported it, you will not be able to use it again.  

    You can then apply for a replacement BRP card. This costs £56, payable by card at the end of the online form. It can take up to 8 weeks for a replacement BRP card application to be processed through the standard service.

    You must report it as lost/stolen and apply for a replacement BRP card within 3 months of losing it.

    If your BRP was valid for 3 months or less, speak to an ISAT adviser about your options.


    Make sure you come to ISAT to have your form and documents checked before you pay for and submit your application.

    (1) Contact the International Student Advice team immediately: Telephone - +44 (0)1865 484681 Email – isat@brookes.ac.uk

    If you are not able to speak with a member of the team, you should follow the procedure below:

    (2) If you can, report that your BRP card is lost or stolen with the local police. A police report is useful when you apply for your replacement BRP visa.

    (3) Then you need to report your BRP card as lost or stolen with the UKVI

    (4) You can then apply for a Replacement BRP visa. This costs £154 and will give you single entry back into the UK.

    • Select BRP replacement visa when asked what you are applying for.
    • Check you can travel to the biometric enrolment location in the country you are in (if you cannot you will have to travel to another country)
    • You will not need a new CAS but you should be able to provide your Oxford Brookes Attendance Certificate

    (5) You can apply for a replacement BRP card when you return to the UK. You must do this within 3 months of reporting it lost or stolen unless you have a good reason, for example you were unable to return to the UK in that time.

    For detailed information on applying for a BRP replacement visa please refer to our PDF guide

    You should report this to the police and then contact your Embassy to find out how you can get a new passport.

    If your visa for your course was in your passport (i.e. if you do not have a BRP) then you will need to apply to get your visa transferred into your new passport.


    If you think the UKVI have made an error on your visa (either on your BRP or on a visa vignette in your passport) then please contact ISAT so we can check it and help you request the UKVI to correct the error. Please bring your visa and a copy of your CAS to a drop-in.

    If the error is with the length or conditions of your BRP that you received after making a Tier 4/Student visa application in the UK then the process (Administrative Review) can take 4 to 8 weeks and there is an initial charge to the UKVI of £80 which is refunded to you if the UKVI agree they made the mistake. You must come and see us within 14 days of receiving your BRP.

    If there are any other errors with your BRP then we can ask the UKVI to correct the error free of charge. The process takes about three weeks. You should come and see us within 10 days of receiving your BRP.

    If there is an error on your visa vignette in your passport (for courses of six months or less) we can ask the UKVI to correct the visa. This process is also free and takes around three weeks. Come and see us as soon as you notice the error. It is only possible to correct the error within three months of arriving in the UK, after that you would have to make a new visa application to get the correct visa.