Police registration

  • If the visa in your passport or your BRP visa card or the letter that came with your visa says you need to register with the police then you need to register online within 7 days.

    You will first need to complete all your details using the Thames Valley Police online registration form. Make sure that you have all the information ready, including a photo to upload that meets the UKVI requirements. You must complete the form in one go and within 20 minutes, you cannot save the form and go back to it later to complete it.

    Register online

    After registering online you will receive an email and you can then book an appointment online to go and collect your certificate.  If there are no appointments available at  St Aldates in Oxford, you may have to choose another Police Station.

    You must take the following documents with you. If you don't you will not receive your certificate and you will have to book another appointment.

    • Valid passport and visa
    • £34.00 cash
    • Oxford Brookes Attendance Letter with your address in the Thames Valley area (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire)
    • Visa, BRP visa card, or UKVI letter that came with your visa, with the requirement to register with police

    You must also update your registration certificate every time:

    • you get a new visa or passport
    • you change your address or place of study or course or any of your personal details
    • you change anything listed on the back of your registration certificate 

    You will need to update any changes within 7 days by taking evidence of your change to the police station (e.g. your new visa or evidence of your new course or of your new address) with your passport, visa and police registration certificate.

    If you have lost your registration certificate

    You will need to request a new one online

    If you have any difficulties updating your certificate, please contact ISAT.
    You can also contact the Overseas Visitor Registration Office directly.

    For details of who has to register including a list of nationalities see this information from the  Home Office.

    You could be fined £5,000 and jailed for six months or deported if you do not register in accordance with your visa requirements.

    It's possible you may be asked for your police registration certificate when returning to the UK if you travel during your course, but if you do take it with you, make sure you don't forget to bring it back or lose it.