Placements, CASs and your visa

  • When you request a CAS to apply for a Student visa we will ask you if you are choosing to do a placement if that is an option for your course. The information below tells you what you would need to do if you change your mind and want to remove or add a placement after getting your visa. 

    If you no longer want to do the placement year

    If you decide that you no longer want to do the placement year after getting your visa:

    1. Your visa will be shortened (curtailed) by the UKVI. Your new visa end date will be confirmed by the UKVI and should be 4 months after your new course end date. If there is a delay in the UKVI shortening your visa then this visa time will still count towards the limit on your study at degree level in the UK.  More information about study time limits (UKCISA) 
    2. The extra year of the Immigration Health Surcharge that you will have paid when you applied for your first visa will not be refundable even though you will be finishing your course a year earlier. 

    If you want to add a placement later

    If you decide you want to add a placement later after getting your visa:

    1. You will need to make a new visa application to complete your course. This means you will need to pay for a second visa application. You will need to make your visa application before you start the placement year of the course (or if possible after you finish the placement).
    2. You will need to still have enough time left within the UKVI time limits for degree level study in the UK to do the extra year.  More information about study time limits (UKCISA)
    3. The Immigration Health Surcharge you have already paid for your first visa is non-refundable if you apply for your visa outside the UK, even though you will have to pay the charge again for all the remaining years of your course when making your second visa application.

    Please contact us if you have any questions.

  • Contact us

    International Student Advice Team

    Contact & opening hours »