Police registration

Registering with the police

If you need to register with the police on your arrival in the UK, it should be written on your entry visa vignette, biometric residence permit (BRP) or Home Office letter approving your application for leave. If you live in Oxford, you will need to register with the Thames Valley Police. More information on who needs to register can be found on the Thames Valley Police webpage.

Complete all your details using the Thames Valley Police online registration form below. Make sure that you have all the information ready, including a photo to upload that meets the UKVI photo requirements. You must complete the form in one go and within 20 minutes. You cannot save the form and go back to it later to complete it.

If you live outside of the Thames Valley region, you should check with your local police force to find out the process of registering.

You will need to update your police registration certificate every time there is a change of circumstances, such as receiving a new visa, passport, change of address, etc (see Update your registration certificate below). 

After registering online, you will receive an email and you can then book an appointment online to go and collect your certificate. If there are no appointments available at St Aldates in Oxford, you may have to choose another Police Station.

Documents to take to your appointment

You must take the following documents with you. If you don't, you will not receive your certificate and you will have to book another appointment.

  • Valid passport
  • £34.00 cash (card not accepted)
  • Confirmation letter from university/CAS or employment contract
  • Oxford Brookes Attendance Letter with your address in the Thames Valley area (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire)
  • Visa/BRP (biometric residence permit) and the letter attached to visa with requirement to register with police

Update your registration certificate

You must also update your registration certificate every time you:

  • get a new visa or passport
  • change your address or place of study or course or any of your personal details
  • change anything listed on the back of your registration certificate.

You will need to update any changes within 7 days by taking evidence of your change to the police station. As well as reporting your changes online, you will need to make an appointment to have your certificate updated. See section above for documents you need to take with you to your appointment. 

If you have any difficulties updating your certificate, please contact ISAT.

You could be fined £5,000 and jailed for 6 months or deported if you do not register in accordance with your visa requirements.

It is possible you may be asked for your police registration certificate when returning to the UK if you travel during your course. If you do take it with you, make sure you don't forget to bring it back or lose it.

Leaving the UK for longer than 2 months

If you are planning on leaving the UK for longer than 2 months, for example if you are starting a work placement abroad or going home for the summer holiday period, you should email FNR@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk to inform them of this and they will update your online record.

On return, you should update your police registration certificate. Refer to Update your registration certificate above.

Lost your registration certificate

Back to top