How much money do I need

  • The money you need must have been in your bank account for at least 28 days

    Fees for your course

    You will need to be able to show you have enough money for your tuition fees for 1 year (or for the whole course if it lasts less than 1 year).

    Living costs

    You need to show £9,135 to cover your living costs (or £1,015 for each month of your course if it is less than 9 months long - a part of a month will be rounded up to a whole month).
    For example: If you are starting a new course and the start date is 19 September and the end date is 23 December, then your course is just over 3 months long so you will need to show 4 months of living costs, £4060. If you are continuing on the same course, the period will normally be calculated from the end of your current visa until the end of your course. 


    If you can show with receipts that you have paid Oxford Brookes halls fees, then a maximum of £1265 can be deducted from the total you need to show for living costs.

    Your finance evidence must include all the required information

    After looking through the requirements detailed below you can complete our financial check form by clicking on the green button. After completing the form, you can scan your documents, when they are ready, and email them to so we can check them.

    Tier 4 finance check form

  • Your money needs to be cash funds in the bank (this includes savings accounts and current accounts even when notice must be given).
    Other accounts such as shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards and pension funds are not acceptable, regardless of notice period. Certificates of deposit are usually acceptable if the dates cover the required 28 day period. You can check these with ISAT.

    Your finance evidence must cover a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 31 days before the date you submit and pay for your  visa application.
    The balance cannot drop below the total amount of money you need to show for any of those 28 days. 

    If you are using more than one account then the same 28 period must be used for all accounts.

    If you want to use a joint account as proof of your money, you must be named on the account along with one or more other person.  

    You can use a parent's account - see details below. If you need to use your account and a parent's account then there is nothing in the immigration rules that says you cannot do this, however the questions on the Tier 4 application form only give you the option to choose one or the other, not both. Please contact ISAT for help with this.

    You will need to check that your bank is not on the Home Office lists of unacceptable financial institutions for some countries.

    All documents submitted for your visa application must be on the official letter-headed paper or stationery of the organisation that they are from.

    From 5 November 2018 you can use originals or copies of these documents. 

    Any document that is not issued in English (or Welsh) must be officially translated. The translation document must include the following:

    • the translator/translation company’s contact details
    • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the name and original signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company
    • the date of the translation

    If you are applying inside the UK, you must also provide details of the professional translator/translation company’s credentials.
    If you are outside the UK, the translation must be able to be independently verified by the Home Office.

    You will need to include with your visa application a note of the amount of money in British pounds (sterling) if your money is in a different currency, by using the  OANDA currency converter rates on the day of making your application.

    Your bank statements must cover a consecutive 28 day period  ending no more than 31 days before the date you submit and pay for your  visa application.
    The balance cannot drop below the total amount of money you need to show for any of those 28 days.

    Your personal bank or building society statements must show:

    • your name or your parent’s/legal guardian’s name
    • the account number
    • the financial institution’s name and logo
    • the amount of money available.
    • On-line bank statements must contain all of the details listed above and the official stamp of the bank on every page of the statement or a supporting letter from your bank on headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements provided. 

    Instead of showing transactions in a bank statement, you can use a bank letter. Here is an example bank letter.

    Your letter from a bank or building society must show:

    • confirmation that funds have been held for a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application
    • your name or your parent’s/legal guardian’s name
    • the account number
    • the date of the letter
    • the financial institution’s name and logo
    • the money in your account
    • that there is enough money in the account (to cover your course fees and living costs). 

    If you are relying on money held by your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) - you cannot show money from any other relatives - you must show that you are related to them by providing one of the following:

    i. your birth certificate showing the names of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s); or
    ii. your certificate of adoption showing names of both parent(s) or legal guardian(s); or
    iii. a Court document naming your legal guardian(s). The document used must be the original legal document or a notarised copy.

    You must also show that your parent(s)/legal guardian have given their permission for you to use this money
    You must provide a letter from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) that confirms:

    1. the relationship between you and your parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
    2. that your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to you using their funds to study in the UK.

    Here is an example letter


    Your parent's bank statements or bank letter must meet all the requirements as described above.

    You can only receive official financial sponsorship from:

    • your home government
    • an international company that has registered offices in more than one country
    • an international organisation
    • the UK Government
    • the British Council
    • a university 
    • a UK independent school. 

    If your financial sponsor is only covering some of your course fees or living costs, you must show that you have the rest of the money needed. 

    If you are being given Official Financial Sponsorship, you must provide a letter of confirmation:
    This letter must be on official letter-headed paper or stationery of the your financial sponsor and must have the official stamp of that organisation on it. The letter must show:

    • your name
    • the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
    • the date of the letter
    • the length of your sponsorship
    • the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs.

    If you are applying with dependants then their names must also be on the letter.

    If you are no longer being sponsored but were sponsored before and your financial sponsorship ended within 12 months of your application being made, you will need your sponsor’s permission to stay in or re-enter the UK. You must provide us with your financial sponsor’s unconditional consent in writing. This must confirm that your sponsor has no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK. If your financial sponsor does not give consent, we will refuse the application.

    • The financial institution must be regulated by either the Financial Conduct Authority, the Prudential Regulatory Authority or, in the case of overseas accounts, by the home regulator (the official regulatory body for the country the financial institution is in and where the money is held) for the purpose of student loans.
    • You cannot use loans held in the name of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) as evidence of money held by you.
    • There must be no conditions placed on the release of the loan funds to you, other than your Tier 4 application being successful. 

    You must have a letter from the regulated financial institution confirming the loan
    The loan letter from a regulated financial institution that you send us must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of your application. The letter must be the original (not a copy) and must clearly show:

    • your name
    • the date of the letter
    • the financial institution’s name and logo
    • the money available as a loan
    • that the loan is provided by your national government, their state or regional government, a government sponsored student loan company or is part of an academic or educational loans scheme