Supporting documents

  • Required Documents

    • For details of what finance evidence you will need, go to How much money do I need.

    • You will need to have originals or copies* of all educational qualifications/course certificates listed on your CAS used to assess your ability to study; if you are applying to start a new course, the certificate or letter confirming you have successfully completed your most recent course in the UK (even if this is not on your CAS); and evidence of your English language level (unless your CAS states that Brookes has assessed you as being at level B2). 
      More information about Evidence of English Language ability (UKCISA).

    • Your original passport (and your old passport if it has your current visa in it) and your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP visa ID card) if you have one.
    • If any of your documents are not in English then in addition to having the untranslated document you must also have an official translation that has been signed and dated by an authorised translator and includes their contact details and credentials and a confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document.

    *From 5 November 2018 you can use copies of your finance documents and qualifications.
    Also, you no longer need to submit photographs.

    Police Registration Certificate

    If you need to register with the police you will need to send an up to date registration certificate with your visa application.

    For more details see: Police Registration

    Do I need an ATAS certificate?

    You only need this if you will be studying or researching one of the subjects in the Academic Technology Approval Scheme ( ATAS). The subjects on the ATAS list are in science, engineering and technology.

    Read the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) information to find out exactly which courses require an ATAS and how to apply for it. If you need an ATAS certificate you must get this before you can apply before your visa.

    If you have any questions please email

    Am I a low-risk student?

    If you are a national of any of the countries listed by the UKVI as low-risk* you do not need to submit your finance documents, nor your course certificates that were assessed to give you the offer of your place on your course**, at the time when you make your online visa application.

    However the UKVI will contact some low risk students and ask for their documents. If you are one of those who are asked then your finance documents must have the required money for the 28 days before you submitted your visa application. If you cannot provide them in the time they give you to send them, then your application will be refused.

    *On the 06 April 2019 this list will change and the following countries will be added: 
    Brazil, Kazakhstan, Mauritius, Oman, Peru and Tunisia.
    The following countries will be removed: 
    Argentina, The Maldives, and Trinidad and Tobago.

    **You still need to meet and evidence the UKVI's English language requirements and academic progress requirements.