Financial evidence for a Tier 4 visa application

  • Money you need to have

    Applying for a course which is less than 9 months

    Any remaining tuition fees + £1,015 per month of the course

    Applying for a course which is more than 9 months

    Any remaining tuition fees for the first year* + £9,135

    *For example, if your tuition fees for a 1 year course are £14,880 and you have paid £1,000 deposit, you would need to show £14,880 - £1,000 + £9,135 = £23,015.

    If you have paid Oxford Brookes money for accommodation, you can subtract up to £1,265 from your total.

    Students who are not from a low risk country will need to submit evidence of this money before we can issue your CAS and with your visa application.

    What evidence can you provide?

    You need to provide ONE of the following:

  • 1. Bank statement or bank letter

    Your bank statements must cover a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 31 days before the date you submit and pay for your visa application.

    The balance cannot drop below the total amount of money you need to show for any of those 28 days.

    Your personal bank or building society statements must show:

    • your name or your parent’s/legal guardian’s name
    • the account number
    • the financial institution’s name and logo
    • the amount of money available.
    • On-line bank statements must contain all of the details listed above and the official stamp of the bank on every page of the statement or a supporting letter from your bank on headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements provided.

    Example bank statement  Example bank letter

    2. Official Financial Sponsorship

    You can only receive official financial sponsorship from:

    • your home government
    • an international company that has registered offices in more than one country
    • an international organisation
    • the UK Government
    • the British Council
    • a university
    • a UK independent school.

    If your financial sponsor is only covering some of your course fees or living costs, you must show that you have the rest of the money needed.

    If you are being given Official Financial Sponsorship, you must provide a letter of confirmation:

    This letter must be on official letter-headed paper or stationery of the your financial sponsor and must have the official stamp of that organisation on it. The letter must show:

    • your name
    • the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
    • the date of the letter
    • the length of your sponsorship
    • the amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs.

    If you are applying with dependants, then their names must also be on the letter.

    If you are no longer being sponsored but were sponsored before and your financial sponsorship ended within 12 months of your application being made, you will need your sponsor’s permission to stay in or re-enter the UK. You must provide us with your financial sponsor’s unconditional consent in writing. This must confirm that your sponsor has no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK. If your financial sponsor does not give consent, we will refuse the application.

    3. An educational loan

    • The financial institution must be regulated by either the Financial Conduct Authority, the Prudential Regulatory Authority or, in the case of overseas accounts, by the home regulator (the official regulatory body for the country the financial institution is in and where the money is held) for the purpose of student loans.
    • You cannot use loans held in the name of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) as evidence of money held by you.
    • There must be no conditions placed on the release of the loan funds to you, other than your Tier 4 application being successful.

    You must have a letter from the regulated financial institution confirming the loan.

    The loan letter from a regulated financial institution that you send us must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of your application. The letter must clearly show:

    • your name
    • the date of the letter
    • the financial institution’s name and logo
    • the money available as a loan
    • that the loan is provided by your national government, their state or regional government, a government sponsored student loan company or is part of an academic or educational loans scheme

  • You must provide 2 additional documents.

    • Your birth certificate showing the names of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s
    • A letter that confirms your relationship with your parents and that they have given you their permission to use their funds to study in the UK

    Example parental consent letter 

    If you do not have a birth certificate, the UKVI will also accept acertificate of adoption showing names of both parent(s) or legal guardian(s); or a Court document naming your legal guardian(s). The document used must be the original legal document or a notarised copy.

    You can use any cash funds in personal bank accounts. This includes savings accounts, current accounts and fixed deposit accounts even when notice must be given).Certificates of deposit are acceptable.

    You cannot use:

    • investments, stocks or shares
    • a company bank account
    • a friend's bank account
    • any relative except your parent's bank account
    • credit card limits
    • pension funds
    • a statement showing yours or your parent's salary

    You can only use cash funds in a personal bank account held by you or your parents.

    The Home Office give a list of acceptable and not acceptable banks for the following countries:

    Cameroon, India, Ghana, Pakistan, Iran, Philippines, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka

    If your bank account is in one of these countries, you will need to check that your bank is not on the Home Office lists of unacceptable financial institutions.

    You can use originals or copies of your financial documents.

    All financial documents submitted for your visa application must be on the letter-headed paper or show the organisations name and logo.

    Any document that is not issued in English (or Welsh) must be officially translated. The translation document must include the following:

    • the translator/translation company’s contact details
    • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document
    • the name and original signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company
    • the date of the translation

    If you are applying inside the UK, you must also provide details of the professional translator/translation company’s credentials.
    If you are outside the UK, the translation must be able to be independently verified by the Home Office.

    You should use the OANDA currency converter rates on the day of making your application as this is what the UKVI use.