Travelling outside the UK

  • If you plan to visit another country while you are in the UK, check if you need a visa with their embassy in your home country, before you leave. It is usually easier to apply there than from in the UK. This is very important if you wish to visit the USA.

    If you are already in the UK then before confirming your travel, we recommend that you check the visa requirements for the country you intend to visit. You will need to do this plenty of time before you travel. For travel to Europe, most embassies describe the process as taking at least 3 weeks, but this can be longer depending on your nationality and during busy travel periods. To find out if you need to apply for a visa to visit the country you are travelling to, please check the website of the embassy of the country you wish to visit.  

    List of all embassies in the UK

  • 26 European countries participate in the Schengen Visa Scheme. This means that a visitor need only apply for one visa to travel to any number of the Schengen countries in one trip.

    Where should I apply?

    • If you are only visiting one country, you should apply to the embassy of that country.
    • If you are visiting more than one country, you should apply to the embassy of the country which is your ‘main destination’ – the country you plan to spend the most time in during your visit.
    • If you are spending equal time in more than one country and do not have a ‘main destination’, you should apply to the embassy of the country you will enter first.

    Useful websites that provide travel insurance for Schengen applications include: AXA Schengen, MyTravelVisa and the Post Office.

    For more information about Schengen visas, please see the UKCISA website and refer to the Embassy websites below. You can also try Schengen Visa Info.

    View Austria
    View Belgium
    View Czech
    Czech Republic
    View Denmark
    View Estonia
    View Finland
    View France
    View Germany
    View Greece
    View Hungary
    View Iceland
    View Italy
    View Latvia
    View Liechtenstein
    View Lithuania
    View Luxembourg
    View Malta
    View Netherlands

    The Netherlands
    View Norway
    View Poland
    View Portugal
    (takes a while to load)
    View Slovakia
    View Slovenia
    View Spain
    View Sweden
    View Switzerland
    • When you re-enter the UK, the immigration officer may ask you to prove that you are still a registered student. For this reason, we advise you to carry a copy of your attendance certificate with you. You can obtain a copy from Student Central or via your PIP page.
    • If you are travelling during semester time, you should carry a letter from your Academic Adviser confirming that you have permission to take time out of your course.
    • If you are travelling at the end of your course, but before your visa expires, you should carry documents to show why you are re-entering the UK, for example, if you are going to study on another course, a copy of the CAS for the new course (or offer letter if you don’t have the CAS), or proof you are awaiting results or attending your graduation ceremony.
      UKCISA also provide this advice: "Be careful about leaving the UK during this period if you want to come back with your student immigration permission. A border force officer can decide that you no longer meet the requirements of the student Immigration Rules and cancel your permission. This is particularly important for you if you want to stay in the UK as a student or if you want to make an application in a work category of the Immigration Rules. It is safer if you either make your next immigration application:
      • in the UK before you leave, or
      • while you are outside the UK, in the country where you usually live if you need to make a work application."
    ISAT can help answer your questions about travel to other countries, but we are not specialists so you may want to use a  visa travel company to help you with your application (they will charge for their service).