• Work
  • Work options

    It is very important that you are aware of the restrictions on working in the UK and never work when you are not allowed to do so. Opportunities to work after your studies are limited so start finding out about your options early.

    If your employer has asked you to get permission from Brookes so you can work, then you need to direct them instead to the Home Office information, as we can not do this. See Preventing Illegal Working: guidance for employers (page 51). There is also a UKVI Employers’ Helpline they can ring 0300 123 4699 or 0300 123 5434.

    What you should provide your employer from Brookes is confirmation of your semester dates. See How many hours can I work for details of semester dates.

  • Getting a National Insurance Number

    In order to undertake paid employment in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number. You can only apply once you are in the UK. You must be looking for work or have an offer for a job to apply. You can start work without a National Insurance Number but you will need one to avoid paying emergency tax.

    To apply, you will need complete the form on GOV.UK Apply for a National Insurance Number.

    You will need prove your identity, you can use:

    • A passport from any country
    • A biometric residence permit (BRP)
    • A national identity card from an EU country/ Norway/ Liechtenstein/ Switzerland

    You can still apply if you do not have any of these documents but you may need to attend an appointment to prove your identity.

    The online form will ask you to provide:

    • The date you arrived in the UK
    • Your address in the UK
    • Your date of birth.

    When you have proven your identity, it can take up to 16 weeks to get your National Insurance number.

    If you need help with your National Insurance Number application you can call 0800 141 2079 Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm.

    Also see