• Work
  • Work options

    It is very important that you are aware of the restrictions on working in the UK and never work when you are not allowed to do so. Opportunities to work after your studies are limited so start finding out about your options early.

    If your employer has asked you to get permission from Brookes so you can work, then you need to direct them instead to the Home Office information, as we can not do this. See Preventing Illegal Working: guidance for employers (page 51). There is also a UKVI Employers’ Helpline they can ring 0300 123 4699 or 0300 123 5434.

    What you should provide your employer from Brookes is confirmation of your semester dates. See How many hours can I work for details of semester dates.

    Getting a National Insurance Number

    In order to undertake paid employment in the UK, you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number. You can only apply once you are in the UK.

    To apply, you will need to call the National Insurance application number on 0800 141 2075, Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.00pm. ISAT can help you do this if you wish. For the phone call, you will need:

    • your passport and your visa, if you have one
    • the date you arrived in the UK
    • your address
    • your date of birth.

    They will make an appointment with you to attend an interview at the Job Centre in Oxford and tell you what documents you need to bring.

  • Also see