Tier 5 Work Options

  • There are a number of different types of Tier 5 schemes. These include:

    Youth Mobility

    If you are a national of one of the following countries you may be eligible to apply for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa: 

    Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan

    Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange Schemes                                                

    The Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange route is for those coming to the UK through approved schemes as a paid intern. The aim is to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements, whilst experiencing the wider social and cultural setting of the UK. A list of the companies who can offer Tier 5 visas can be found at  Home Office list of Authorised Exchange Schemes.

    Some examples of companies on the list are:

    To apply for the schemes you must be able to show that you have held funds of £945 in an account that is acceptable to the Home Office for a period of 90 consecutive days.  

    You can make an application to stay in the UK under if you meet all the following requirements:

    • you have student leave (Tier 4 (General) leave or leave under one of the student-related categories that preceded the introduction of Tier 4
    • you have obtained a UK recognised degree during your most recent grant of leave
    • you are being sponsored under Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) either to undertake a period of postgraduate professional training or work experience which is required to obtain a professional qualification or professional registration in the same field as your UK qualification or you are being sponsored for up to 12 months to undertake an internship which directly relates to your UK qualification
    • your employer does not intend to employ you in the UK once your training or work experience for which you are being sponsored has ended.

    Brookes graduate internships