Work visas after studies

  • The Start Up visa (replacing the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa) is for people who are thinking of starting their own business.
    More details from the UKVI

    Find out more about being sponsored by Brookes for this visa by contacting the Enterprise team.

    If you are successful in receiving an endorsement letter from the Enterprise Team you can then submit a visa application.

    You can apply in the UK if you have a Tier 4 visa and this will also mean that you automatically meet the English language requirement. You must submit your application online before your Tier 4 visa ends. You cannot start your business activity until you get your Start Up visa. This should be within 8 weeks.

    The visa application fee is £493 plus a biometric enrolment charge of £19.20 and the Immigration Health Surcharge will be £800. After submitting your visa application online you will need to book and attend a biometrics enrolment appointment. You may have to pay £60 or more for the appointment if you do not go to a core centre (Birmingham and Croydon, South London) or if you want to choose an earlier time.

    If you have been financially sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency for your studies in the last 12 months you will need a letter from them giving you permission to make your visa application.

    You will need £945 is cash funds for a period of 90 consecutive days in a bank account in your name or in a  joint account. You cannot use your parents' finances. You will need to submit your visa application within 31 days of the end date of the 90-day period and this will be taken as the date of the closing balance.

    Your statement must be printed on the bank’s or building society’s letterhead or stamped on every page, and must include:
    (i) the name of the account holder
    (ii) the account number
    (iii) the financial institution’s name and logo
    (iv) that the funds in the account have been at the required level throughout the 90-day period
    (v) the date of each document
    (vi) in the case of personal bank or building society statements, any transactions during the 90-day period

    You should include a conversion if your statement is not in £s using

    More advice from UKCISA

    The immigration rules for workers

    Contact ISAT for further guidance

    You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if you are completing a UK degree or have completed 12 months of a PhD on a Tier 4 visa and you have been offered a job from a Tier 2 sponsor that meets the minimum wage requirements.

    The job must pay either £20,800 a year or at least as much as the prescribed wage for a new entrant in that type of job, whichever is the highest.

    More information from the UKVI

    Advice from UKCISA

    There are a number of different types of Tier 5 schemes. These include:

    Youth Mobility

    If you are a national of one of the following countries you may be eligible to apply for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa: 

    Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan

    You cannot switch into this immigration category from within the UK. Instead, you need to leave the UK and apply for entry clearance.

    Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange Schemes

    The Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange route is for those coming to the UK through approved schemes as a paid intern. The aim is to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements, whilst experiencing the wider social and cultural setting of the UK. A list of the companies who can offer Tier 5 visas can be found at   Home Office list of Authorised Exchange Schemes.

    Some examples of companies on the list are:

    To apply for the schemes you must be able to show that you have held funds of £945 in an account that is acceptable to the Home Office for a period of 90 consecutive days.  

    You can make an application to stay in the UK under if you meet all the following requirements:

    • you have student leave (Tier 4 (General) leave or leave under one of the student-related categories that preceded the introduction of Tier 4
    • you have obtained a UK recognised degree during your most recent grant of leave
    • you are being sponsored under Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) either to undertake a period of postgraduate professional training or work experience which is required to obtain a professional qualification or professional registration in the same field as your UK qualification or you are being sponsored for up to 12 months to undertake an internship which directly relates to your UK qualification
    • your employer does not intend to employ you in the UK once your training or work experience for which you are being sponsored has ended.

    Brookes graduate internships

    The Doctorate Extension Scheme is for PhD students coming to the end of their course who want to work in the UK for up to 12 months after completing their PhD.

    You must apply within the 60 days before the expected completion date of your PhD and before you are awarded.

    If you have been sponsored for your PhD studies then you will need a letter of permission from your sponsor in order to make your DES application.

    You will need to able to show that you have £2030 for living costs for 28 days before you make your DES application.

    You apply using the Tier 4 (General) application form with a CAS from Oxford Brookes. 

    More information from UKCISA

    The UK government has announced a proposal to create a new route. This route will allow students to stay in the UK to work after they have completed their degree. This route is not yet confirmed and it must be agreed by parliament before it becomes part of the UK Immigration Rules.

    The proposed route is as follows (subject to change)

    • Students who complete their course in the summer of 2021 and still have leave to remain on their visa can apply.  
      Successful applicants on this route will be able to stay and work, or look for work in the UK at any skill level for a maximum period of two years
    • Graduates will also be able to switch into skilled work visas once they have found a suitable job.  

    For more information please see UKCISA's latest information on the proposed Graduate route