Keith Kelly, Director of Sport, provides an update on plans for the reopening of Brookes Sport facilities.
It has been some time since we last heard the sound of feet pounding on treadmills, or fingers gripping tightly onto a hold on the wall, but we are delighted to finally be able to announce that we are preparing to open up our doors once more, and have a provisional phased opening date for both sites from Monday 17 August.
We are reopening whilst the remainder of our campuses remain closed as we are able to provide a safe, self-contained environment in spaces which are not required for teaching and learning. Additionally, Brookes Sport is both an important revenue stream for the University and a well-loved resource for our local communities in Headington, Botley and beyond.
Our facilities at Headington and Harcourt will be reopening but our unmanned gym at Wheatley Campus will remain closed. The Brookes Sport team has been working hard to ensure the safety of staff and visitors at the sports centres so they will look a little different.
The key changes are:
- All activities will need to be pre-booked, and where necessary, paid in advance. This is to ensure that we can maintain social distancing requirements and to allow for safe use of our facilities;
- New entry and exit routes signposted around buildings;
- Additional hand sanitiser stations throughout our buildings;
- Reception areas will have screens separating our returning customers from our reception staff and all payments not made in advance will be cashless;
- Our staff members will be wearing face coverings and whilst not compulsory, we encourage any visitors not taking part in exercise to do the same;
- Fitness equipment has been separated and studio flooring has been taped to ensure safe space for those working out;
- An enhanced cleaning regime.
Further details, including opening times and class information, can be found on our website.