The University is continuing to follow Government advice for students returning to higher education in 2021. Information on our Semester 2 plans has been sent to all students and is available on our website, however here’s a reminder of some of the key points.
Can I return to university?
The Government has stated that students can return to university for the following reasons:
- you remained in your university/semester-time accommodation over the winter break
- you are attending face-to-face teaching for an exempt course. Programme Teams will be in touch with you to confirm arrangements if this applies to you
- you are an international student who has already arrived in the UK and do not have alternative accommodation
- you do not have access to appropriate alternative accommodation, facilities or studying space, or if you decide it is better for your mental health and wellbeing
- you are a commuter student who is unable to access online learning, appropriate study space or facilities in your usual accommodation
- you are a researcher or research student unable to work from home because you require access to specialist facilities.
Am I allowed to visit campus?
If you fall into one or more of the categories above, Government guidance states that you can make use of campus facilities for the following reasons, and only after you have taken two rapid Covid-19 tests, three days apart on arrival or have self-isolated for 10 days and informed the University through the Coronavirus reporting form.
- to receive face-to-face teaching for an exempt course
- you do not have access to a suitable study space in your home
- to access the library to borrow essential materials
- to access specialist facilities for research activities if this work cannot be reasonably conducted from home
- for catering facilities and services.
What facilities are open?
The University has opened facilities to support the teaching and learning of those who fall into the categories above, but this will be maintained for essential use only wherever possible. These include:
Visit our dedicated Coronavirus Facilities webpage for details on opening hours and access arrangements.
Do I need to do anything before coming onto campus?
Yes, if you’re planning to access these facilities, you need to have booked and taken your two rapid Covid-19 tests, three days apart OR you have self-isolated for 10 days (and submitted the Coronavirus reporting form) before you arrive on campus.
Make sure you have your Student ID with you so that you can access buildings.