All students have been given a free Brookes Zoom Pro licence for online teaching sessions. You will need to use this account to log into any Zoom lectures you may have next academic year. It also gives you access to extra Zoom features which are not available on a personal ‘basic’ account. Please check that you're using the right account before the start of the new academic year.
This article tells you:
- why you need to have a Brookes Zoom Pro licence
- how to check you’ve got the right licence to ensure you can access online lectures in the new academic year
- how to make sure your computer is ready for online lectures, and
- what to do if you already have a Zoom account linked to your Brookes email address.
Why do I need to do this?
You will only be able to access online lectures and other University sessions with your free Brookes Zoom Pro licence. You must register for your Brookes Zoom Pro licence and use it to join online lectures, otherwise the security settings will prevent you from joining.
How do I find out if I’m already using my free Brookes Zoom Pro licence?
To check that you are using your Zoom Pro licence before the start of the 2021/22 academic year, please complete the following steps.Step 1: Please access your Brookes Zoom user profile. If you are not already logged in you will be asked to provide your Brookes Username (student number) and Brookes password.
Step 2: Click the “Zoom profile picture” (top right corner of screen) and a small popup window will open. If you are signed in correctly to your free Brookes Zoom Pro Licence, you will see the word “licenced” next to your name. Please also confirm that your student email address (email@example.com) appears below your name. If your profile shows correctly you are fully licenced and do not need to complete step 3.
Do I need to do anything else to make sure that I can access my online lectures next year?
- If you have already logged into the Brookes Zoom Page, then you don’t need to do anything else as you will have already registered.
- If you would like to refresh your knowledge of how to join online lectures please read our guide Zoom - A quick start guide for students joining lectures.
- IT Services recommends that you regularly update your Zoom client software on your devices.
- IT also recommends that you use the application or app on your devices to get the most benefit from your Zoom experience.
I’ve paid for my own Zoom subscription, does this matter?
No, you can still use your personal Zoom subscription, you just need to make sure that it is registered to your personal email account otherwise you will have difficulty using your Brookes Zoom Pro licence properly.
What are the benefits of my Zoom Pro licence?
- It’s free for all current Brookes students!
- Your Brookes Zoom Pro licence can be used for your studies and also for personal use.
- No 40 minute limit on hosting Zoom calls including for personal use.
- Up to 300 people on any call! (larger meeting licences are available if needed for academic work).
- All Zoom Pro meetings can be recorded with recordings accessible via Panopto.
- Zoom Pro accounts allow the use of automatic subtitles for all participants.
- Zoom can be accessed in the majority of locations (including China) internationally allowing easy communication with friends and family. A guide for friends and family has been provided.
- In areas of poor internet connectivity Zoom allows participants to join via a telephone number, local cost Zoom numbers are available in over 90 countries. Please note in countries without local numbers, international charges will apply.
- Brookes’ IT Support can troubleshoot any connection issues you may have.
- Manage and enhance the security of your meetings using the security settings available when you set up your session at https://brookes.zoom.us/. IT Services recommends the use of a passcode, waiting rooms and/or allowing only Brookes users to join as appropriate.
- Zoom continually creates new features and enhancements and IT Services regularly provides information on updates in the Zoom - Summary of feature updates by month article.
Need more help?
If you have more questions which have not been answered by this article or the troubleshooting guide from IT Services, please contact the IT Service Desk:
- by calling 01865 483311
- or visiting https://service.brookes.ac.uk/.